Worms in frog tank?

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat May 11, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think it's good at all. I know water snails can carry parasites. There are also some worms (like cat bladder worms) that can affect frogs and be almost impossible to get rid of. I don't really know much more than that I'm afraid. I think this could be something to consult a vet or Frogsafe about.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat May 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Ok right, I think that was a good idea, better to be safe then sorry. There is probably a way to disinfect plants before you add them to the tank. I know for tadpole tanks Frogsafe recommends a mix containing Rapid White Spot Remedy, however that's quite a strong chemical (formaldehyde) so probably best avoided if possible. Maybe there is a saline solution that will disinfect plants?

ethanhunt
spawn
spawn

Postby ethanhunt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 pm

I showed the pictures of these worms to the Pest Control Melbourne unit and they suggested you should clean up the entire tank to get rid of these worms as soon as possible.

elery
spawn
spawn

Postby elery » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 pm

be cheerful with the snales, i bought some weed a while ago which had heaps of tiny ones that hatched and they ate my tadpols tails in a matter of a day of hatching :( i would not want them near my frogs. they also lay clear eggs you can not see and once you have them they are so hard to get rid of. if they are the same as the ones i had. little black ones.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Interesting, are they a parasite of tadpoles or fish?

Return to “Health and disease”