little white bugs...

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

little white bugs...

Postby melcoggio » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 pm

hi guys, i was away from my apartment for 3 days and when i returned i noticed tiny tiny little white bugs crawling all over the outside (mostly outside) of my terrarium. they are tiny little white moving dots. YUK.

after doing some research i think i might have a mite infestation : http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html#effective

can these attack and hurt my frogs? luckily i am currently building a new tank for my frogs, but what should i do in the meantime? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :evil:

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:32 pm

That sounds nasty, sorry but I really have no idea. Hopefully someone else can help. If you have a good vet they will probably be able to identify what they are and what action to take. All the best.

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

Postby melcoggio » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:28 am

hi, so i found out these are not reptile mites, they are mould mites and are now all over my apartment. they are attracted to moisture and humidity ie. frog terrarium. if any one has experience in getting rid of these in their home please let me know thanks

Who
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Who » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:00 pm

One other possibility, were there birds nesting in your roof? I've seen bird mites "Ornithonyssus bursa" coat virtually every surface in a building, transiting back down to ground level after their food source leaves the nest. This takes a couple days and then they're all gone of there own accord. Perhaps this happened while you were away, some may have found "ground" in your terrarium and remained, if it's "Ornithonyssus bursa" the problem will go away on it's own.

I only mentioned this as many young birds are leaving their nests at this time of year.

edit: Missed your second post "now all over my apartment", sound like what I've seen with the bird mites. They sometimes will test-bite a human while passing through, if they do, they're not mould mites.

They will look white if they haven't fed in a while. Have a close look as they do look different to mould mites.

Google Pictures: (sorry, just text. url tags didn't seem to work)
http://www.google.com.au/search?q="Ornithonyssus+bursa"&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:27 pm

You have me worried now Who. We have Starling nesting in our roof atm. It was blocked up but they they seem to have found a way in. I will be sure to block it up after they have left.

Who
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Who » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Edit: Ooops, sorry Sean, I thought you were Melcoggio when I wrote this reply (so it reads a bit weird, as if you both being combined into one person for my reply), still relevant though so will leave as is so Melcoggio can see it. I've had birds get in the roof on multiple occasions, only had the mites appear once so you may be ok, still, fix the hole as soon as you can.

I happened to me a few years back, and the bloody birds have found their way back in this year (Indian Mynas in my case), they grab the wire and pull it back and forth until metal fatigue takes hold and it breaks, then in they go, no point fixing the hole until they're out though. Not looking forward to the mite possibility myself.

The mites will go away on their own, you're not a suitable food source, luckily. Give it a couple days, you'll see, gone without a trace.

As for blocking access to the roof after the birds leave, my guess is they did that while you were away. As long as the mites can get a blood meal in the roof, you won't see them, they just multiply, it's after the birds leave that you get what looks like an instant infestation in the house.

I have read about pest control companies that'll spray them and then say, "They'll be completely gone in a couple days", then walk off with your money, hmmm.

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

Postby melcoggio » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 pm

hey thanks for your help guys - im still pretty sure these are mould mites as they were only attracted to wet or damp surfaces - none were on dry surfaces. they dont look like the pictures of bird mites on google. i managed to get rid of alot of them by cleaning out my frog terrarium, and leaving my apartment well ventilated with air con on. I think they were just attracted to the extreme heat we've had in Sydney the past few days and the humidity in my terrarium - maybe they came out of the soil i there but its hard to say. they could have also come from the recent batch of crickets i bought or flowers i was given?? !!

hopefully when i return to my apartment they will be completely gone, as it has cooled down a bit now. GOSH i hope they are gone and not worse!!!!!! :shock:

Who
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Who » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 am

I've never encountered a mould mite infestation, and am sure I don't want to. In fact, I'd rather the bird mites!

Hopefully you've made it uncomfortable enough for them and they'll move out. You could use a dehumidifier but they are a little expensive.

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

Postby melcoggio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 pm

MITES ARE GONE YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Who
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Who » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Well done.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds like the exact same problem I have! The bugs are only in the wetter terrariums (eg marsh frogs home) and they are tiny white bugs that don't seem to bother the frogs. I cleaned out the infested tanks per the last few days an the problem has temporarily resolved (until the froggies mess up their tank again that is!) I hope they are safe for froggies to be around!

Return to “Health and disease”