Striped Marshie illnesses...help appreciated

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Striped Marshie illnesses...help appreciated

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 pm

A month or two ago, I had three healthy, happy young striped marshies.
A few weeks ago, I noticed Clouseau had a twitch in his legs (posted details in another topic) and his health has rapidly declined. Yesterday I found Kels stiff and dead in her water dish and I also noticed that her roomie, Daniel was looking poorly--not his usual chirpy self. Today he looks very ill. He is weak and lethargic and his back legs don't work properly. I actually thought he was dead. What is going on??
It could be metabloic bone disease but I didn't think I had been THAT slack with uv/calcium powder. Clouseau's symptoms seem different than the other two and he has lived with these symptoms for a lot longer than Kels did.
Its not Cythrid, red leg or dropsy. It might be something they ate (bad batch of crickets, maybe...though I have other froggies that are doing fine), bad substrate? mould? cancer?
these three were moved into a different room a few weeks ago where they are under a window. This window does not receive direct sunlight but still daylight.
I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I would really appreciate it if you could. I'm upset and want my froggies to be happy and healthy. The difficult Winter months are drawing to a close so this should be an easier, happier time with them.
thankyou,
Alex

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 pm

I would say it could be something wrong with water, or even the tank. I would take the whole tank apart and place the frogs in a much more sterile tank E.g Paper towel (Without bleach) on the floor sprayed with water and a rock for hiding under. That is all i can suggest, really.

Sorry to hear about your frogs Alex, hope for a better future, but i suppose you do loose some frogs.... Its unfortunate to watch the slowly collapse in front of your eyes, especially when you don't know whats wrong. But its all i can suggest at the moment, lets hope someone with more experience will reply.

Good luck Alex.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. Pretty sure the tanks themselves are fine--cleaned regularly and often changed (I.e from small plastic one to bigger glass one) it could possibly be the substrate. I feel bad about this but it is coco peat that was first opened and soaked a long while ago. It has been sitting in te water and I just scoop some out every tank change. This is very bad I know...I didn't think this would be a problem but it could possibly be the cause??
The water I use is rainwater so I don't see anything bad with that.
I'll have to sort this substrate out..any other advice / suggestions would be GREAT:)!
Thank you,
Alex

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:25 am

I'm with Liam - "pretty sure" isn't enough mate - pull those tanks apart, sterilise everything in them with bleach or iodine and then wash them really well again. Just in case.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 am

The frogs have mostly been living in those $3 plastic tanks (which had suited their size) I thoroughly wash them out each time with detergent (and I rinse them even more thoroughly with rain water to make sure there is no detergent left) ill have to follow your advice with the small glass one though as in the past I haven't bleached it.
This is probably something I should already know but, how do you go about bleaching or iodining a tank? Would i be able to wipe it down with Betadine and then thoroughly rinse it?
Thanks again and sorry for sounding so naive. I'm feeling like a terrible frog owner!

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Wipe down with Betadine. then leave it for a while, then rinse it all out really well.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Thank you.
Unfortunately, Clouseau, Daniel and Kels all passed away. Clouseau definitely seemed to have something different from the other two as he had visible symptoms for a long while before he died.
I have cleaned out their home with Betadine and rain water and now my little gtf is in there, glad to have a little more space to move around.
I also cleaned out my perons tank today and used Betadine too so hopefully we are infection/disease FREE here!

miterreader
spawn
spawn

Postby miterreader » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:51 pm

I have a one yr old striped marshie whom I moved to a small plastic tank a few weeks ago. This was a temporary move and today I put him back in his (freshly cleaned) regular tank. I was planning on moving two frogs of a similar
size (same species) in with him but, over the past few days I have noticed his back legs twitch. This was still happening while I was transferring him and I am a little concerned. Could this twitching just be a result of being confined to a smaller area for a few weeks or could it be something more serious?

Return to “Health and disease”