Tadpoles keep dying

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Simberr
spawn
spawn

Tadpoles keep dying

Postby Simberr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi this is my first post so please be gentle:) I am in Townsville and have been breeding local frogs for approx 12 years through our pond.
Due to the drought and Cane toads i guess the frog numbers in our yard have significantly reduced and the 2 species of ground frog that i had bred have gone. This year in the same pond as last year and others i collected some green tree frog eggs ( unknown variety ) from my parents pool when it rained last and brought them to the pond. Def frog eggs and the house sitter actually saw green tree frogs that night around the pool and collected the clumps.
The eggs hatched but the tadpoles died within the first day. I cleaned out the pond and thinned out the moss ( possibly Java moss ), collected rain water and put a small pump in to circulate the water. I went back after a week as the house sitter ( also a frog lover ) had kept about 100 tadpoles in containers and had been feeding them until she had to leave and brought the rest of them back and put them in the pond. They died..... I have no idea as wild green frogs and both species of ground frog have successfully bred in the same pond in the past. The only difference i can think of is there is a lot more of the Moss and i was wondering is this toxic to tadpoles or possibly the algae in the pond. It is only a small 3 tier pond from Bunning. It is in the shade with a bit of sun. Another possibility is that the rain water collected has come off the roof and it was a bit chalky last time i was up there, in saying that we have had over 160mm of rain prior to collecting the water. I might have one more opportunity to collect some more eggs if we get more rain and want to increase the wild population of as many species that i can. BTW i think i have got the last of the toads last night and there have been a couple hanging around the pond, but they have a very fast trip to the freezer. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
frog
frog

Re: Tadpoles keep dying

Postby Aaron » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 am

Hi,

There might be a number of reasons why the tadpoles are dying. From what you've written I wonder if the tadpoles have been 'shocked' by sudden changes in water chemistry between the containers they were in and the water in the pond. Sometimes the chemistry in these water bodies can be quite different so if I am ever transferring tadpoles I take the time to 'equalise' the water slowly by taking part of the water from one container and adding it to the other over a period of time so the tadpoles can adjust to the new conditions.

Another thing to boost numbers would be to try and raise some in the containers if there are still doubts about the survivability in the pond. If you release the metamorph frogs around the pond they are still likely to colonise it. Residue from the roof or piping into the rainwater could be another issue as well.

Simberr
spawn
spawn

Re: Tadpoles keep dying

Postby Simberr » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Thank you for the info. It has got me baffled. I have gone out and got myself a cheap fish tank and stand to see if i have any better luck, and keep them away from the pond. The first lot of eggs hatched in the pond and the 2nd lot was the same eggs that were in containers. I will flush out the pond and remove all the algae and weed, so it can have a clean start. The roof and gutters are colorbond with pvc down pipes and all water collected was after approx 150mm of rain. I will give it a full scrub out before adding any tadpoles etc and start again with the fish tank. Now for the next challenge, finding some tadpoles. :)

Return to “Health and disease”