list of malformation cases

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Reswob
tadpole
tadpole

Brown Tree Frogs with foot missing

Postby Reswob » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:15 pm

I found these animals a long time ago but I thought someone might find the info useful

*when was this animal found?

Late 1999 or early 2000

* do you know what species it is and was it a tadpole, juvenile or an adult?

Southern Brown tree Frog (Litoria ewingi). All the specimens were adult. I found three and the largest had the deformation

* exactly where did you find it (e.g., not just "Sydney" but "next to the water fountain in Joe Bloggs Park, Granville)

Under some wood in our Low head property, which is near the mouth of the Tamar River, northern Tasmania (1 hour away from Launceston). Across the road was a disused sewerage plant. There were also storm water drains next to where the frog was found.

* what was the nature of the malformation (lumpy eye, missing eye, extra limbs, backwards foot, etc.)

The right foot was missing,being just a knob. The frog was otherwise normal and was a good sized healthy frog.

* do you have any photos to upload

I don't unfortunately.

* where is the animal now (brought it to my vet, in my freezer, got it preserved, sent it to the uni, put it back where I found it, etc.)

Put it back where I found it.[/b]

Reswob
tadpole
tadpole

Common Froglet with Missing foot

Postby Reswob » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm

*when was this animal found

Late 2001

Adult male Common froglet (Crinia signifera)

* exactly where did you find it (e.g., not just "Sydney" but "next to the water fountain in Joe Bloggs Park, Granville)

Lowhead 50 km north of Launceston, same area as before in proximity with the disused sewerage plant, the stormwater drains which sometimes had a strange orange sludge

* what was the nature of the malformation (lumpy eye, missing eye, extra limbs, backwards foot, etc.)

Left foot was missing with only a knob being present.

I don't unfortunately

* where is the animal now (brought it to my vet, in my freezer, got it preserved, sent it to the uni, put it back where I found it, etc.)

I took pity on him and kept him in captivity. He always had less energy than the other frogs and did not live as long, perhaps 1-2 years. I believe I buried him in the garden.

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:37 am

The green frog with the two different eyes has had an impact injury such as bouncing off the side of a moving car; the frog's right eye is fine but the left eye is blind. (could you make the photo smaller please? - it is causing the page width to go well beyond the monitor size - thanks!)

Jack - would you post the exact location of the water body where you saw the malformed tadpoles? You might also want to have a look at our website - disease section - virus which causes sudden death and malformations. These tadpoles are highly likely to have this problem.
www.fdrproject.org.au

The two frogs described from TAS could actually be the result of injury, not malformation. Many things prey on tadpoles and frogs and could have nibbled on the ends of the limbs which then do not grow back. The water body where these came from would have to be monitored for awhile to see if other tadpoles are being affected the same way.

Cheers,
the CFH

Reswob
tadpole
tadpole

Do galaxids nibble on tadpoles?

Postby Reswob » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Speaking on the frogs from Tas., we found some galaxids in the nearby stormwater drains. Wold they be the sort of animals to cause the frogs to loose feet or are dragonfly nymphs more likely to do this damage?

The galaxids were in the stormwater drain which was overflowig due to a burst pipe. When my Dad got it fixed the frogs disappeared from the area and there were 2 galaxid fish in the shrinking pools. The water had an orange oily sludge and the fish were dying. I tried to save the fish but they didn't make it. I don't know whether the water was polluted or just stagnant and full of toxic algae.

One thing I have learnt from living in Tasmania is that nothing ever happens. This state has great reserves of inertia and things have to get bad before something happens. Just because the water is tested does not mean it is safe for anything. The standards of drinking water here are pretty poor in many areas. They don't put enough fluoride in the water and the dental problems in the human population are high. In some areas you still have to boil your water before it is drinkable. It could be polluted and we wouldn't know, especially when you consider how forestry owns half the state and can get away with dumping all kinds of poisons on their plantations.

jackie boy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby jackie boy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:57 pm

heyy

umm i hope this is what you mean but they where in an old damn where the house used to get its water from, the house is in woodend victoria just outside the main town, the water is very mucky and i meen mucky you couldnt see more than a centimetre down and a tadpole poped up and decided to swipe my net and i got like 10 every time and couple in each scoop had the problems i explained earlier

so yeahh..i hopes thats right and it was 2 years back by the way...JACK

Serenity
frog
frog

Postby Serenity » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:27 am

I have a newly morphed Dainty Tree Frog Tadpole with a leg malformation.

when was this animal found :
March 2010

Maformation showed up as tadpole and now it is a froglet

Found in East Brisbane in the cemetery, which is heavily sprayed with a yellow pesticide.

Right leg socket has two legs coming out of it. The legs respond to impulses but overall inhibit mobility and do not work.

In my care. Seems to be healthy.

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 am

Can you post some photos of it?
I would handle with gloves; this frog should not be released to the wild.
It would also be good to get some liquid calcium - if this problem is the same as our malformation issue up here, the frog will need regular calcium supplementation all its life.
Cheers,
the CFH

Serenity
frog
frog

Postby Serenity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks a lot for your feedback with this. I have posted pictures on the other thread for you to look at. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

Phillip
frog
frog

Postby Phillip » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:29 am

One of my green tree frogs is missing a little stickypad on the end of one of his fingers. I bought him like this from the pet store, so I am unsure of whether he has morphed with a deformity or it has been bitten off, ripped off, stuck etc.

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm

It could be either - an injury could have occured or a bacterial infection which dissolves the toe pad away and eventually the exposed bone falls off - or it could be a deformity because toes CAN grow back on amphibians.

Cheers,
the CFH

amanda
tadpole
tadpole

Litoria raniformis with missing eye

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi all,
Just noticed this topic after not logging on for some time (i.e. over six months!).
During regular surveys for Litoria raniformis in Pakenham, Victoria during 2010/11 season (believe it was in December 2010?), we observed an adult male (i can pm exact location if important) with a missing eye.

Despite missing an eye, he was in good overall health with average body weight, my assumption was that he lost is due to an injury as there was an associated scar running vertically through the eye socket. Maybe a lucky escapee from a heron's bill! Sorry no pic taken :(

Will definitely keep a look out and post if we observe anything else, as my work often requires me to be handling frogs, so any abnormalities will be noted! Generally our wildlife permits for surveying note that any frogs deemed to be in ill health will have details noted and specimen or swab collected, particularly if it is suspected to be chytrid.

Cheers,
Amanda.

beno15
spawn
spawn

Malformed frogs in my Garden.

Postby beno15 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi all,

I live in Leopold, Victoria.
Just out of Geelong on the Bellarine Peninsula.

Over the last 12 months I have noticed a frog calling in my yard.
I think it is a Marsh Frog, but it looks like a Southern Brown Tree Frog.
The calling started at the same time that I emptied my pond of fish.

About 3 months ago, I noticed that I had Tadpoles in the pond.
I caught 6 and raised them in my Vivarium.
5 very succesfully. 1 didn't survive.
Out of those 5, one hadn't developed an eye.
I hadn't noticed the deformity in the tadpoles.
But, I hadn't inspected them that closely.
He seems very healthy, and has no trouble catching the bugs I put in there. His favorite are flies. He spots them well and catches them without any trouble.

Over the last month, I have "LOTS" of little frogs in my yard.
I LOVE THEM, and searching for them at night.

While on these night searches for the baby frogs....
(That's when I found the BIG Mummy or Daddy frog......)
I have found quite a few babies that have developed with only 1 eye.
At least every third one I see.
Just wondering if you would know what the problem may be and will the little frogs be okay in the wild?? I look forward to your responses.

Here are some photos of the babies I found in my garden.

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Beno your pictures didnt show up, try this website and post the pictures up Via Copy and Pasting the Forum and Message Board code,

www.TinyPic.com

Do you use insecticides on your garden? Chemicals on the ground maybe even too much fertiliser?

Many of these things may have leeched into your pond, or what ever water containment you have where the tadpoles are, it could be something wrong with the mother?

Im not sure though, im not really an expert on things like this!

beno15
spawn
spawn

Postby beno15 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 am

I'm not sure about contaminants, I don't use fertilizers, weed killers or anything of that nature.
The pond was empty a year ago and is full now mainly with rain water.

I don't know who the mother is, or the father for that matter.
I can't tell the difference between male and female.

The LARGE frog that still hangs around the pond is the one that calls.
Would that be the male?

beno15
spawn
spawn

Postby beno15 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:40 am

http://tinypic.com/r/2rokjlc/5

This is my little Daniel in his enclosure.

http://tinypic.com/r/358nhfm/5

This is the little one in the garden....NOTE, the missing eye is the opposite to my Daniel's!!

http://tinypic.com/r/23vcboz/5

This is the little one in the garden with his "complete" sibling!

Wano
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Wano » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey, I witnessed a stripped marsh morph and it only had one eye. Located hawkesbury

Florcornatus Anthropos
spawn
spawn

L shaped spinal malformation in Litoria Peronii Tads

Postby Florcornatus Anthropos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:36 pm

I have observed the malformation in several Litoria peronii tadpoles and at least 2 metamorphs.

Mooloolah Valley on the Sunshine Coast, Qld. I have 12 bathtubs set up as frog habitats about 20m away from the banks of the Mooloolah river. There have been problems with what looks like a nasty algae in the particular tubs in which i have observed the malformations.

There seemed to be some spinal malformation in which the tails are bent into L shapes, I have also observed one tadpole that has a missing leg in addition to the L shape malformation. The tadpoles are able the swim and seem lively however the malformation does seem to affect movement somewhat.

I don't unfortunately.

The tadpoles remain in the tubs, I never feed or interfere with them in any way other than assisting to provide habitat. I would however remove them and keep then should you suspect a virus is responsible as it is very important to me that I protect the other tadpoles from infection.

Hello I am new to this forum, I love frogs and often visit the website for reference. I was very disturbed to find these malformed tadpoles and metamorphs in my ponds and am desperate for advice about an appropriate course of action. I have observed 8 different species on the property (listed below for those interested) and the malformation seems to be specifically in the Lit. Peronii at present and concentrated in the tubs which have low water quality and problems with algae. There have been chemicals sprayed in the neighbouring area and I recognise this as a possible cause and am currently in the process of acquiring the names of the chemicals that have been used.
The malformation is however consistant with a virus of concern as described on this forum and also the the images on the FROGSAFE.ORG website. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Hanna.

List of frog species on the property

Litoria Caerulea
Litoria Wilcoxii
Litoria Peronii
Litoria Gracilenta
Litoria Fallax
Limnodynastes Peronii
Adelotus Brevis
Mixophyes Fasciolatus

and of course the horrible bufo marinus.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi, bent tails (normally) are a general symptom that means something is wrong with the tadpole. Water quality could be the course. Do you know what chemicals were sprayed and the distance from the baths? I would try a water change of the affected tub. Make sure any water that you take out is tipped down the toilet/sink inside so that it is treated before being released into the environment.

You could always try an contact the people at Frog Safe (FDR). Apart from that try and get some photos taken of the tadpoles and the baths.

Return to “Health and disease”