list of malformation cases

A big issue both in enclosures and in the wild.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:08 pm

I've PM'ed you. Thanks.
D.

Addie
spawn
spawn

Re: list of malformation cases

Postby Addie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:25 am

Pergolotti wrote:I'd like to start this thread as a means of collecting observations of malformations that are being found around the country. If you have seen a deformed frog or toad that appears to be congenital and not the result of an injury, please record your observations in this thread. If you have already posted this info somewhere else, can you copy your info here so that it is in one easy to find spot?

Please be sure to include the following information:

* when was this animal found
* do you know what species it is and was it a tadpole, juvenile or an adult?
* exactly where did you find it (e.g., not just "Sydney" but "next to the water fountain in Joe Bloggs Park, Granville)
* what was the nature of the malformation (lumpy eye, missing eye, extra limbs, backwards foot, etc.)
* do you have any photos to upload
* where is the animal now (brought it to my vet, in my freezer, got it preserved, sent it to the uni, put it back where I found it, etc.)

Thanks and cheers,
Deborah

Hi Pergolotti *Blu waves* Image Image
I have a few 'one eye blinded Motorbike Frog's' living in my garden.
Three of them are 4 years old and each year I have one born with this contition Image
I still can't work out how these frogs survive for so long.

I know it's from 'one pair' of breeding frogs and I think I know the pair Lol Image
I don't have the heart to kill it.. Image
I love all my 32 adult frogs which live in my garden!!! Image

This is one of my blinded frog.

Image Image
Image Image

My other interest

All is Welcome to party at

http://realitytvisdead.com.au

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:50 am

Alright, I found a toad last night that I don't quite know what to do with.

Species: Bufo marinus (cane toad. Eurk.)
Deborah, you know where I live. Atherton Tablelands for the rest of you. It was on our verandah, where the rest of them are. There are always toads because we have pot plants on shelves and a light, and at night we turn on the light to attract insects for the frogs (12 GTF's that live in the pot plants, all tame!) and some fall off the light and get eaten by the toads.
Quite a large adult toad, but a little thin for this time of year. The toad has very odd eyes. Both are affected. They're not quite missing, per se, but I don't think the toad can see. Its eyelids are sunken and you can just see the eyeball underneath in usual colours for a toad, and tries to blink. It makes an odd squelching popping noise every time it tries to blink.
I've got it in a plastic container, but I don't like keeping it in there, it's not big enough. Could somebody please tell me what to do with it? I can feed it and look after it but I still think it's cruel to stick it in that small of a container, and the old 'frog tank' that gargantua lived in is currently full of Limno tadpoles.

I just went and got my toad to take these photos, and I've noticed a clear discharge running from its left eye. There's a spot of moisture just behind the right eyelid, in front of the paratoid gland, which is also clear. I don't know whether you can see them in the photos.
Attachments
toadwithoddeyes.JPG

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:01 pm

We've had a toad with no eyes come in from Mena Creek recently so this is no surprize. Of course, I would like to get my hands on the toad so we can investigate this.

Rush Couriers brings frogs from the Tablelands down to us for free. You can put the toad in an ice cream container with a tiny bit of water and some air holes and then put that in a cardboard box with lots of holes. Phone Rush in the morning and they will pick up the toad, probably around 10am or lunchtime. They have a 1 800 number in the phone book. Tell them it is a FROG - not a toad. Rush has our address so just put "Cairns Frog Hospital, Mooroobool" on the outside of the box.

The alternative is that you bring the toad if your mother is agreeable to bringing your tadpoles down here so we can see what is going on with them.

Cheers,
D.

Alex_T
spawn
spawn

Postby Alex_T » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi 2 of the 20 tadpoles I collected from a swimming pool had deformed back legs. I assume it's not hereditary but due to a mutation caused by the chemicals in the pool. Has anybody come across this before, or could it just a coincidence that I got 2 in my lot? Is their anything I could do to find out? There are still a lot of tadpoles in the pool but it is going to be chlorinated in a few weeks.

Description of mutation: The legs don’t seem to bend at the knee; it gives the appearance that the legs are on backwards. It effects their movement, especially jumping but otherwise they seem to be healthy.

The frogs came from a pool in Main Ridge, Victoria.
They are Southern Brown Tree Frogs
They have been frogs for about 2 weeks.
They are currently in my tank.

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:15 am

Can you post some photos?
If there are any other symptoms with the tadpoles such as sudden death, off colour, sluggish behavour, malformed or bent tails, please post a description.

Cheers,
the CFH

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:27 am

There was photos posted in another topic.

Alex_T
spawn
spawn

Postby Alex_T » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:43 am

I posted some images in another topic but I’ll post them here as well.

No there aren’t any other visible signs of malformation or death in either the frogs or the tadpoles. It only seems to affect their back legs. In the wild they would most likely die as it restricts their ability to jump and hunt.
They are about 1 1/2 cm long, and while they have a lot of difficulty hunting, still have good appitites and will eat a small cricket every couple of days.
Attachments
frog.jpg
frog2.jpg
frog1.jpg

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:37 pm

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised there was another topic - I just got the email notice that someone had posted to this one.

It would be interesting to see how they go in captivity and whether they reach adulthood. I have seen this before but only on one leg and I don't know the cause. The frog was at least a year old when found.

Cheers,
D.

Alex_T
spawn
spawn

Postby Alex_T » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:06 pm

ok thanks for that. Maybe I'll keep an eye on the tadpoles that are currently in the swimming pool and keep you updated if anything happens to the frogs.

Whirledly Woman
spawn
spawn

Postby Whirledly Woman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:26 am

I have found a tiny dwarg eastern tree frog in my garden, which upon closer inspection, seemed to have wierd eyes. Sorry the picture quality is not great, but you can get the idea. One eye has a yellowy lid (?) the other is shiny black and lidless? I haven't met one of these little folks before, and would appreciate some feedback. Apart from that, we have some seriously robust green tree frogs hereabouts!
I retrieved a frothy float of frog spawn from a toad prone pond in my garden, and many MANY wee tadpoles have hatched and are merrily swimming about in the toad free new environment i made for them, nearby their original site. Is there a way to identify frog species by the type of spawn?
Attachments
PICT1057.jpg
PICT1052.jpg
PICT1053.jpg

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:36 am

It looks like a Dainty or Red-eyed Tree Frog. We really need a clear photo. Your camera is focusing on the background. Make sure you put it in macro mode, that way it focuses on the closest object.

Thanks,

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:16 pm

Yeah it looks like a gracilenta to me, but yeah there is something wierd going on with the black eye.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:27 pm

very funny chris :shock:

hm need photo on eyes asap ortherwise delaying it would probably result in the frog going blind or lose eye as result of not being treated in timely manner.

also noticed in the blurry image the black eye seemed shrunken when you compare the hump/ridge above eye. probably too late ?

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 pm

hm :!:

Gulper
frog
frog

Green tree frog, Darwin River Dam, NT

Postby Gulper » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:57 pm

This animal was found on a picnic bench at night- seemed to have a deformed head- very short.

52 713259 8580937 AUS66 (had special permission to camp there, was on a fauna survey).
Attachments
PelceaF0372_1233.jpg

Gulper
frog
frog

Oops forgot the date..

Postby Gulper » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:58 pm

15 May 2007...

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:41 pm

Poor frog, but I have to admit it does look kinda comical.

Whirledly Woman
spawn
spawn

Postby Whirledly Woman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:17 pm

rionatindal wrote:very funny chris :shock:

hm need photo on eyes asap ortherwise delaying it would probably result in the frog going blind or lose eye as result of not being treated in timely manner.

also noticed in the blurry image the black eye seemed shrunken when you compare the hump/ridge above eye. probably too late ?

This little frog is a 'wild' frog, so I don't envision it being treated, per se. If I see it again, I will try to snaffle it and take it to the vets, or at least get clearer pictures. However I have never noticed these little folks around before, and may be a while before I spot one again..... Thanks so much for the replies, folks..

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm

oh if its wild, leave it - nature's way of culling weaker ones to ensure stronger species remain in the fore of the "race". I had assumed it was a pet ! sorry ..

it sounds cruel perhaps.... If there are any herp vets nearby then yeah but often its often the best way to ensure genetic viables to stay clear.

I am sure someone wont agree so all to each own opinion.

Alex_T
spawn
spawn

Frogs with deformed back legs

Postby Alex_T » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 am

Just thought I would give an update on my southern brown tree frogs with the deformed legs. My two original ones are both happy and are growing fairly quickly. However I found another one today. It came from the same pool as the others and both its back legs are deformed. I also found a frog that was missing one of its front legs completely. Anyway don't know if this imfornation is useful to anyone but I thought I'd post it anyway.

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks for the continued postings to this topic on deformities.
If at all possible, can I ask if chatter in this particular topic could be kept to a minimum :wink: This sort of information might be important to someone working on frog declines and I hate to see it buried in conversation! Thanks kindly for that.

With the dark eye, that frog has suffered an eye injury or infection at some point which has allowed the eyeball to stay intact but the retina area has probably bled so it will remain dark permanently.

The NT case might also be an injury in that the lower jaw is skewed to the side as well as a very slight tilt forward in the head - quite possibly this frog has received a crushing to its head where the damage was concentrated under the skull instead of on top of it.

Thanks for the updates on the deformed legs case!

Cheers,
the CFH

caity333
tadpole
tadpole

Postby caity333 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:43 pm

i got 30 tadpoles from a breeder and 2 of them are missing an eye.
though it was not her fault as the tadpoles she gives away are from her garden
i live in trigg, perth WA

FDR Project
frog
frog

Postby FDR Project » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:28 am

Thanks for your post. Can you possibly provide some more details from your supplier?

- what species are we talking about?
- do you know an approximate date when the eggs would have been laid in your supplier's pond?
- I don't know the regs in WA so excuse me if this seems a stupid question, but - if these are from her garden, is it allowed in WA to move tads sourced from the wild?
- has your supplier noticed any other issues with the tadpoles from the same body of water as yours such as numbers dwindling fast, dead ones, sluggish behaviour, off-colour or any bends/crimps in the tails?
- how are the 30 you have doing? any of the symptoms listed above yet? If not, can you watch for any of these items and post again if any should appear?
- can you ask your supplier if any of her stock has been purchased from interstate?

Thanks in advance for the extra info.

the CFH

caity333
tadpole
tadpole

Postby caity333 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 pm

hi again
they were motorbike frogs and the eggs would have been layed aproximatley 3 months ago.
In WA we are allowed to move taddies from licenced breeders gardens to other gardens as long as the the recipient is less then 6km away. the breeder from which i recieved my taddies lives about 200m away so it was legal.

No the breeder ses that all the tadpoles from that water body (her pond) are doing fantastically and many have changed into frogs already.

my 30 are doing great. they are growing fast and even the ones with 1 eye are doing extremely well. i havent noticed any symtoms and they all seem perfectly healthy.

all the taddies she gives to people come from her garden frtom frogs that have come there naturally. She is licenced to give them to people aslong as they are going to be released into the their garden (aslong as it is less then 6km away of course)

If i notice any change in my tadpoles behavior i will let you know.

thanks
caity

Return to “Health and disease”