Looking for suitable pet frog

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

sc001
spawn
spawn

Looking for suitable pet frog

Postby sc001 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1200x600x300mm pond (200L) pond, which sits on a raised garden (720mm above ground) and i was looking for a easy to look after aquatic frog, which i dont have to feed live food.

i understand the African Dwraf frog isnt available in Australia but is there any other similar frogs? i have rang a pet shop and the guy told me every frog in the world requires live food, is this true?

thanks in advance

Freeman
spawn
spawn

Re: Looking for suitable pet frog

Postby Freeman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:26 pm

sc001 wrote:Hi all,

I have a 1200x600x300mm pond (200L) pond, which sits on a raised garden (720mm above ground) and i was looking for a easy to look after aquatic frog, which i dont have to feed live food.

i understand the African Dwraf frog isnt available in Australia but is there any other similar frogs? i have rang a pet shop and the guy told me every frog in the world requires live food, is this true?

thanks in advance

I'd like a pet frog too but don't really like the live food. Can they not eat food from a tub? I'd also like a blue frog. What species would that be?

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Re: Looking for suitable pet frog

Postby Chris Key » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Freeman!

Frogs eat live food, you can't get around it - they're attracted to the movement the insect makes. If it doesn't move, they don't eat it. I'm afraid I don't know what a blue frog is though :/

cheers
Chris

Return to “Keeping frogs”