Making a frog pond in NQ

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nick123
spawn
spawn

Making a frog pond in NQ

Postby Nick123 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I would like to make a frog pond using old concrete laundry tubs. I have searched online and haven't found the answers to -

1. What sort of wire can I put on top of the tubs to make it child safe but still attract frogs?
2. I live in an NQ area that has town water that has fluoride in it. Do I have to collect rainwater for the pond?
3. When it rains really heavily will frog eggs get washed out of the top of the tubs? I've read that the fish living in the pond can just go down deeper in the water.
Thanks

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Hey,

*I know this is a really old post, but just in case you are still looking for answers here is my opinion.*

Also, just checking that NQ is North Queensland?

With regards to your questions:

1. I would use something strong but with moderate gaps, something like 'concrete reinforcing mesh' should work. You could even bolt it on so kids cant remove it.

2. In my opinion rainwater would be the safest option (assuming you have a method to collect it).

3. I think it would depend on the type of frog eggs, the foam egg masses that float on top of the water might. However, if you put in a lot of plants that emerge from the water like bulrushes the eggs will stick to those (and hopefully not get washed out).

One other thing you need to consider is that not all frogs can climb well. So you need to have lots of logs and plants that give frog (and birds) a way to climb out and avoid drowning.

Return to “Keeping frogs”