Substrate and E Dwarf Tree Frogs

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

dwarfs
spawn
spawn

Substrate and E Dwarf Tree Frogs

Postby dwarfs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi all :)

I was told to introduce some substrate into the enclosure for my Eastern Dwarf Tree Frogs and so I purchased some Coco Fibre substrate from Reptile One. I am just wondering if this is really suitable? They get it all over them and all through their water - and I have even seen some eat it when it is on a cricket that they just caught. Is this a problem? I know in the wild they would be getting stuff on them, I just don't know about it in the cage? Plus, it makes all the glass dirty when they get in the water bowl then jump into the substrate and then onto the glass?? What do other people do?

Cypher
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Cypher » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Personally I do keep away from coco fibre for the same reasons you've posted. I think the fibre works best for a drier environment then a moist one that frogs need.

I tend to use large flat pebbles (big enough not to fit in their mouths). These are easily cleaned by removing them & pouring boiling water over them. Plus you can build them up as a land area if you have the base of your enclosure filled with water.

Return to “Keeping frogs”