Adventures with my SMF's :)

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Malea
tadpole
tadpole

Adventures with my SMF's :)

Postby Malea » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi All,

ok! so as a few of you know, i currently have a GTF. and i have a secret obsession with frogs. something about there googley eyes and there cute little butts make me smile :P

but it is here that you will see my adventures with my SMF enclosure i am going to set up.

I currently have a large tank set up at home im going to turn into an area for SMF's.
Saying this i have to get my own backside into gear as i am picking up 5 this coming saturday.
If anyone has ideas they would like to throw at me along the way.. feel free too.. i am open to suggestions! :) and hopefully down the track you will see some babies along the way :)

EXCITING STUFF!!!
let the adventures begin!

SO FAR I HAVE..
Tank, stand, lights, rocks, driftwood,

THIS WEEKS SHOPPING LIST.
the rest of the stuff!!! plants mainly.. ::)
Last edited by Malea on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:31 pm

That is exciting! I'm guessing SMF stands for striped marsh frogs?
I have quite a few of these guys and they are the first species of frogs I began with:)
I'm currently watching my baby froggies have a swim--these ones are especially special because I own their parents and have watched their WHOLE life-cycle:)
I don't know how much you know about these froggies already so I'm sorry if I tell you everything you already know!
As far as frogs go, these are low maintenance. I use gravel as their substrate (it's probably best to cover it in a layer of coco peat--though they drag a lot of it onto their water)
Also, I use a large plastic lunchbox as their water supply--I bury it in the gravel like an in-ground swimming pool. This makes it a little easier to clean the water.
Also, these guys will eat anything that fits in their mouths and will eat you out of house and home! This makes for great entertainment tho:)
Enjoy looking after them:)
I hope I have somewhat helped! Below is a link to a photo of my marshy set-up. (still can't work out how to properly attach pictures!)
http://instagr.am/p/HLkbfeOSl3/

Malea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Malea » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:14 pm

ok, well yesterday after work, i thought i would start setting up the new enclosure... its got a long way to come.. but I will get there... I added the rocks and log.. I was going to put water in the bottom of it... but as its a deep tank and im short im thinking i will change my mind and end up putting a pond like feature so its easier for me to clean... along way to go.. and i know i will change my mind about the set up along the way.. i wont leave the glass shelves uncovered as the edges would be a bit sharp for the froggies.. i plan on putting the coconut husk stuff over them. (or something alike) :- OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!
Attachments
2.JPG
1.JPG

Malea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Malea » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Today I went Plant shopping!!!! and boy did i have fun!! I thought about the areas we always had frogs hiding at home, so i went on my way to find some of those plants.
At the moment i have just put the pots into the enclosure until i have time to get back to a plant shop..
I decided against putting water into the tank inself and bought a round dish that plants normally sit in.. it has a lip under it where frogs like to hide, feedback welcome! (in our gardens)
Attachments
3.JPG

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:49 pm

That looks great! Wish I was that creative with my frog tanks.
That water dish looks a lot like the one I use for my perons tree frogs and it works well. You mentioned this tank setup was for marsh frogs? If so, just be aware that they aren't much of a climbing type of frog--they are ground dwellers and might not be able to get in and out of the water dish easily if it is that high up. They will LOVE the plant cover though! I love live plants in terrariums.

Malea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Malea » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Litoria Alex wrote:That looks great! Wish I was that creative with my frog tanks.
That water dish looks a lot like the one I use for my perons tree frogs and it works well. You mentioned this tank setup was for marsh frogs? If so, just be aware that they aren't much of a climbing type of frog--they are ground dwellers and might not be able to get in and out of the water dish easily if it is that high up. They will LOVE the plant cover though! I love live plants in terrariums.

Thanks :) I plan on putting a few pieces of wood in the dish for them as well as rocks/pepples. will possibly put some coconut husk along the edge of it and into the dish so that they have a ramp-like edge in there for them :)

Return to “Keeping frogs”