water heaters

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

water heaters

Postby melcoggio » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:22 am

so i ordered a water heater off ebay aqua one 25watts.
i had to pull apart most of my setup so that i could hide the cable behind the fake rock background.
i have it all installed and then my dad tells me that the water heater cannot be fully submerged and cannot lie horizontal across the bottom of my tank.

what water heater does everyone here use and how do you have it installed? i only have about 5cm of water and it is full of river stones too. :(
i checked out the reptile one heaters and mine looks the same...

cheers

yeahbutno
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby yeahbutno » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:29 am

Mine is fully submerged, never had a problem although i got told not to have them fully submerged

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:08 am

if you read the instructions that come with it, they say they shouldn't be fully submerged - but as a guy in an aquarium shop told me once - think about the environment it's being used in, the manufacturer has to be sure that the heater will be completely watertight else it's dangerous and they wouldn't be able to sell it.

I used a little one like that for years fully submerged and had no problems at all.

melcoggio
tadpole
tadpole

Postby melcoggio » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 pm

thanks guys- im going to buy one of these: http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/cata ... 08&catID=7

Return to “Keeping frogs”