Stripped Marsh eating baby frogs

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Stripped Marsh eating baby frogs

Postby Nano07 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:45 pm

I raised Green tree Frogs & Stripped Marsh Frogs tadpoles together...

At first I was a bit cautious about the two species sharing the same tank but, as they were all very small I thought they were going to be fine.

The SMFs tadpoles starting coming out of the pond (that is inside the tank) at different times, so some were a bit bigger than the others.

My main worry was the GFTs attacking the SMFs, but yesterday, to my surprise I saw one of the biggest SMF go after a smaller one (not really much difference in size). The small one didn't really have much chance as all happened in a second and she was gone (inside the big one's tummy). I thought the other 3 small ones were hiding but now I don't have much hope...

I think the GTFs have enough food as well (they usually get several moths & flies a day, and the SMFs get woodies crickets and any other bug I find in the backyard.... What I'm not sure, is if the insects on the ground are being eaten by the GTFs... but I take care of putting all the food at the same time so when GTFs are covering the air, the other ones eat the other insects (and I've seen it happening)

Not sure what to do... I feed them regularly (maybe I should start feeding them more...)

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Warwick29 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:03 pm

My frogs will keep on eating no matter how fat they are :shock:! I think that the best option is to either separate the smaller frogs from the bigger frogs or give them more places to hide that the bigger frogs can not get to. :wink:

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Striped marshies will eat everything that moves!
I breed them and unfortunately have lost a few to cannibalism--even with very little size difference.
Separating the bigger ones is a good idea.
Sometimes I wonder if frogs know the sensation of being 'full'!
Good luck with the rest of your babies!

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 pm

shame that has happened, but I guess thats nature. I think it applies to just about all frog species they basically react to movement and if they can fit it in their mouths they will. I got 4 extra bell frogs to join my current 3 but they were slightly smaller so I havent risked it I have put them in a separate temporary tank until I can fatten them up a bit more. Looks like you might have to do the same sadly.

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks all for your comments! :)

Well all the Marshies left are the same size so it shouldn't be a problem for the time being, although I will have to start thinking of something for when the GTFs grow bigger than them...

I guess this is when you start thinking of buying another tank, and then another, and ..... suddenly you end up with more tanks than beds in the house.. huh? :p

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Yep, I have a fair few Froggy tanks, my most recent addition was a $3 plastic one for my striped marsh morphlings! (thankfully, all 3 are the same/very similar sizes)

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 am

Ended up doing the same thing Alex :)

I found that if I leave them alone to leave the pond when they are ready, they get predated by the cane toads - even when controlling them, many new ones keep coming every single night :(

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 am

I'm SO glad we don't get cane toads here!
They must be a huge pain to deal with.
Thankfully for me, I only have three morphlings to care for right now--otherwise I'd have plastic tanks everywhere! I'd also have to spend a fortune on crickets.

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 am

It's kind of difficult maintaining a pond outside as the toads are everywhere, we usually find some inside the plastic pond.

Not sure if they manage to eat any of the tadpoles though, as we usually find them stressed out trying to get out....

Sometimes we even find them inside the house, so you have to be consistent and keep removing them from the property every week.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am

That does sound awful!
Hope they don't find their way down here.
Although I guess you get more tropical-type frogs in your area to make up for them?

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 am

Yes, we can usually hear several species around the house... usually on rainy nights...

We have only identified a few (when we hear them calling)
- Graceful Tree Frogs
- Easter Dwarf Tree Frogs
- Green Tree Frogs
- Stripped Marsh

But we've also heard some other callings that we couldn't identify so probably some more species live around the house. That's why we decided to setup a small pond. So far only the Stripped Marsh have come to use it...

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

We get a lot of striped marsh frogs and eastern dwarf frogs too. We also get lots of crinea signifiera and perons tree frogs as well as other browny coloured frogs--wish we had more green ones!

Return to “Keeping frogs”