Fly Pupae, how does it work??

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

beno15
spawn
spawn

Fly Pupae, how does it work??

Postby beno15 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 am

Hi all,

I have ordered fly pupae for my Southern Brown Tree frogs but am unsure how it all works.
I would usually catch flies, mozzies and moths for my brood, but with the weather getting colder, they are becoming scarce. I also put in a few small crickets twice weekly as a treat.
I decided to purchase some fly pupae as flies are their most favorite.

How do I hatch them, in what and will they escape throughout my house??

Some advice would be appreciated.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 am

Wanting to buy some too, but wondering if I will end up with flies everywhere (I can't stand flies : P )

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

yeah i ordered them in january and regretted it as most had hatched by the time they got here and was just impossible to manage. Put them in the fridge for a few hours as soon as they arrive. From there the idea from what I have read before is to put them in a couple of 600ml coke bottles with a few tiny airholes and refridgerate them for a period of time, I believe pupae will stay alive for a few days in the fridge. Transfer the amount u want of pupae/flies into a sealable bag tip them in the frog tank and they will soon hatch or come to life in the tank. Do alot of this outside or you will get flies all over your house. I'll try ordering some more next month, cooler the better hopefully I wont fail as much. First outting was a bit of a disaster for me ahah.

beno15
spawn
spawn

Postby beno15 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks for your replys Kristy and Highlyevolved, got the pupae coming on Tuesday next week, will let you know how I fare.

From all the research I have done, it is best to keep the in the fridge, but not too long as they die. The coke bottle idea is good but difficult for me to transfer into the tank.
Dropping a few pupae into the tank seems the better option but wondering if they will spoil if they dont hatch.
Anyway, will let you know how I go next week!

Kristy, i wasn't a fan of flies either, till I got my frogs!
Now flies are my friends! LOL
I just chase them around till I catch them and feed them to my frogs!!

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 am

Though not necessary I've actually invested in one of those termite mound cricket feeders in one of my terrariums. They look great and will keep the pupae and crickets dry till they leave the mound.

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am

I tried pupae before but didn't work for me. I live in QLD, the delivery took 2 days and in the heat most of them hatched... so when they got here most of them where flies already :(

It was very messy to store and had many escapees.

I have 6 little GTFs and 3 Striped Marshies in the tank. They are approx 2.5/3cm long and just started feeding them 'gents' I got from the ARC store, as I read they are high in calcium.

The gents I got must be one of the 3 larvae stage (there were many different sizes in the package I got)

I'm putting some on a small container lid and place that in the tank. It takes a little while for the gents to come out of the sleepy state and start moving very slowly...

I found that this starts catching the frogs attention so they start coming to the 'feeding plate'...

It's good because it takes quite a while for them to finish all the plate (plus some that wander off the plate). This way I can see that all of them get fed, not just the quicker ones :)

Feeding them gents has proven to be quite easy as opposed to:

1) Crickets - Managing small crickets is quite difficult (noob here)
2) Flies - Lots of escapees and very short lifespan (1 week approx)...
3) Woodies - I couldn't find small ones, nor I have been able to make them breed...

I got the medium pack ($10 - 7,500 gents approx), and I'm storing them in an old small fridge that is setup at 'min temp' so I hope they would stay alive in this stage for a few weeks... I have them separated in 3 containers so in a couple of weeks I thought of putting one little container aside (out of he fridge in a dry place) to see if they become pupae and will try to keep them at a low temp too to try to delay their hatching as much as I can.

At this stage I thought I might put some pupae directly in the tank and let them hatch there...

Hopefully, they will be eaten straight away after hatching...

First time I'm doing all this process so I hope it works for me. I'm aiming at using most of the larvae that came in the package, as last time when I got the pupae I only used about 10% and the rest died... :(

Hope it helps... :)

yeahbutno
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby yeahbutno » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for the awesome write up nan007. I wasn't really interested in them until i saw this thread. Thanks again, much appreciated

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm

No worries, glad it helped! :)

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 am

UPDATE: Almost 2 weeks on my second attempt with 'gents' and all is going well :)

As I said in my post above, first time didn't work very well (I bought pupae) and I ended up with flies all around the house. Me not happy, Wife not happy, and frogs of course not happy :(

I've made some modifications and all seems to be working great:

1) This time I bough the flies in their earliest stage ('gents')

2) I was lucky that I had a small fridge that was not cooling well and was not using, so I can store them there.

3) Flies were escaping from the tank thought the top mesh and also through the gap between the two sliding doors. So had to make a couple of changes.

- bought a fly screen and attached to the inside of the tank top lid. (flies were happily escaping through the mesh before.

- bought a 6mm clear vinyl tubing roll from bunnings to seal the gaps between the doors (probably 5mm would have been better as the door doesn't slide great with this attachment on. Just used a knife to open one side of the tube so it 'grabs' the side of the glass.

The process has been working great! I take a container from the frige and put some scoops of the gents into a fruit plastic container (those you get from the supermarket that already have decent holes) and close the lid.

Then I put that container inside my tank. When the gents wake up, the start climbing, and come out of the container through those holes. Keen frogs are already waiting outside.

The good thing about this method, is that the all the frogs surround the little container, so it's easier to see that all of them get a feed.

Some gents manage to escape without being eaten and hide, and some stay in the container. These lucky ones, in a couple of days turn into pupae and then flies, so they get eaten eventually.

I hope this helps people wanting to give 'gents' a try.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:13 am

Thankyou for the update
Sounds like it's working great.

beno15
spawn
spawn

Postby beno15 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks to everyone that posted and replayed on my topic.

My last couple of weeks:

Ordered fly pupae!

Transferred them into a small clean Vegemite jar that hubby had drilled 6mm holes in the lid. Put that into the tank and waited for the fun or disaster to begin! But, alas, we had success!

I had also place a slice of bread in there for the flies to nibble on before they creep out of the jar. Not sure if they ate any but they were sitting on it happily. I also dusted them, the pupae, with calcium powder. Hoping that by walking around on it would be sufficient for my guys.

Within 3 days there were heaps of flies in the tank.
Within 5 days there were heaps more.
Day 6, frogs not interested in them anymore as they had eaten so many, they had stopped coming down to feed!!

So, very carefully, not to disturb the flies, and to avoid escapes, I removed the jar of pupae from the tank. None escaped. Phew!! :D

They are now at the very bottom of my fridge with glad wrap on the lid!
I will put them back in the tank in a couple of days. Hopefully they survive the veggie crisper!!

So apart from having a few too many hatching, I believe my experience was quite positive.

Beno. Xxxxxxx

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:55 am

That is Great news Beno! :)

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am

Sounds good : )

Nano07
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Nano07 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 am

Hey Beno,

A quick update. All good things come to an end...

I only got to use 1/3 of the gents as the rest died.

I took them out of the fridge a couple of days ago (most of them were still moving), so they turned into pupae, but I think it was too late as they all died the next day.

I think I left them in the fridge for too long :(

I will probably have to do some fine tuning for next time :)

beno15
spawn
spawn

Postby beno15 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 am

Awww, nan007,
That's not good.

I took the fly pupae out today at about 4pm. Left them on top of the frog tank. I intended to put them back in after I give the tank a clean.

I forgot to put them back in until I got home from work at 10.30pm.
Luckily the glad wrap was still on the lid as there were at least 50 of the little buggers hatched in the jar.

So a quick clean of the tank and in they went. Within an hour there were about 20 walking around the tank to be quickly gobbled up by my frogs.

I'm not too concerned that there are so many, I am going away for the first week of the school holidays so at least I know my guys have plenty of food to last them right through next week and Easter.

I still think that pupae are great! But I do think that because of the amount you get, they are better used by people that have lots of frogs.
I only have 4 Southern Browns and 1 spotted Marsh and I only purchased about 250 pupae.

Nan007, hope you stick with it.
Sometimes it's not always about the end result, but how much you learn along the way and use that knowledge to get better for next time!
Good luck......xxxxxx.......Beno

Return to “Keeping frogs”