Metamorphling

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Metamorphling

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 pm

I have a tadpole that's just popped out its front legs. Can I leave it in the tadpole tank overnight? It still has a long tail and is around the bottom of the tank. There are plants for it to come to the surface and rest on. Will the little cutie be ok in there until tomorrow?
Thanks,
Alex:)

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 pm

To be safe I would probably move it to a tank where it can exit the water easier. Although, I don't know how long it will be until it comes out of the water, I have never been in this situation before (yet :D).

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks, I kinda have to leave it in there tonight now (too late at night and the tank is not fully ready yet. I should be right for tonight, but in future i'll move them sooner:)

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Move taddies only after their front legs have popped out, if you move them too early, temperature, different water and bugs in the water can radically change the frog and tend to cause deformaties, so always wait for all the legs to be out and moving before transferring the taddies to another tank, what kinda morph is it may i ask?

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 pm

I dont remove my frogs once they get there front legs. i have plenty of obsticles for them to climb on to get out when they are ready to come out of the water

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 am

It is a striped marshie. I have raised many if these before but usually in a smaller tank with a rock to climb on. This time there are plants to seek refuge so hopefully that will be enough:)

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Sorry to be a pain but how long is too long to leave him in the tank? He appears to still have all of his tail and swam away when I tried to catch him a few minutes ago, so how much tail can I leave to absorb?
Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated:)

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Well make sure he can get out the water and he will when he is ready

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 pm

as well as some rocks I had some fake plastic plants from an old fish tank I had floating on the surface of the water for the few morphs I had gives them another resting spot if they couldnt find the rocks. The lil guy will sit out of the water soon enough probably in the next day or so.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 am

Everytime my peronii came out the water they always used the rock thats in the water them leaping to safety but ground frogs cant actually do that.

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 am

speaking of perons, I call mine the 'pack of pirahna' they line up on my waterfall feature in the early evening and go into a feeding frenzy everynight when I drop the crickets in they are more vicious and more agressive feeders than my bell frogs!

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

My perons are much the same! They give me plenty of entertainment as they gobble up (and often miss) their dinner:)
As for the taddies, I don't have a rock but instead, fake plants and a synthetic Lilly pad. In the past they have seeked refuge there but sometimes I have to go fishing be ause I'm worried they'll drown.
Sorry for sounding so naive, I just freak out a little;) and I want to do it right as I have made plenty of mistakes in the past. (I'm a perfectionist;))
Thanks guys:)

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Well. The good news: the meta morphling found his way to the artificial Lilly pad and was sitting there waiting. The NEXT (yep, still more) question, is it normal for his tail to be really long at this stage? In the past my striped marsh morphs' tails have shrunk rapidly, this little guy, however, has had all four legs all week and his tail doesn't appear to be shrinking much. When I tried to transfer him to the morphling tank, he got tangled in his tail and ended up on his belly--he didn't even try to turn himself over. I thought he'd be ready to come out of the water because he climbed out himself. I now have him in a clear plastic lunchbox with a little water on the bottom and a small chunk of moss in one corner. Is there anything else I should do?
The link is of a photo of him I took a few minutes ago with his extra long tail.
Sorry for the long question. http://instagr.am/p/H5rcc2uSnw/

Return to “Keeping frogs”