mixing green and gold and southern bells

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Thunil
tadpole
tadpole

mixing green and gold and southern bells

Postby Thunil » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey guys,
I signed up a few years ago but I'm only recently getting back into keeping frogs.
Anyway, I've got a spare 4 foot vivarium that I wanted to do Litoria aurea and/or Litoria raniformis in due to it being a longer rather than taller tank.

My question is wouldd I be able to mix the 2 species due to how similar they are or are they better left seperate?

Thanks,
Daniel

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 pm

I can't see why not they are almost identical species, just make sure they are all about the same size cause bell frogs eat anything they can fit in their mouths.

Thunil
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Thunil » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I was planning on buy them all at the same time so they should all stay similar sizes.

Now I just have to finish the tank and find some of each species.
Can any of the Adelaideans on here recommend some pet shops for me to check out or call?

Cheers,
Daniel

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:38 pm

If you search on Gum Tree SA a breeder was selling some pretty cheap I think he was located at Parafield Gardens..also I got 3 Litoria Aurea from Pets World on Grange Road about a month ago.
I haven't seen Litoria Raniformis for sale at all lately if you find some let me know. I use to own a few Southern Bell frogs many years ago.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 pm

yes you could mix them both but u'll need hight and ground space 2 because ones a climbing frogs the other one is a ground frog.

Northside pets have bell frogs 2 and they are $20 ea or 2 for $30. thinking i might get some since there a ground frog, BUT they like heating to and bake under a UVB light.

I brought a tank that was 76cm long 30 cm wide and 50cm high but still decideing what to stick in that one.

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Nah they are both ground dwelling frogs and look and behave pretty much the same, but yeah they sure do like to soak up some UV and bask. I hate the name 'Growling Grass Frog' that's been given to Litoria Raniformis these days lol I'm sticking with the name 'Southern Bell Frog' :)

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 pm

lol i need to read titles first i thought it said GTF.

but they should be fine yeh if they the same size

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 pm

oh well easy mistake :P ...let me know if you guys find any 'green phase' bell frogs, mine are a brown I still love em though.. I'm hoping with some UV and more greenery some green might come through but not as of yet.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 pm

well green phase???

the hotter the tank the more the green shows on a bell frog the less heat the more olive green they go.

apperently people who owns these have a heat light in one end of the tank and these frog sit about 3 -5 cm under the light to keep warm. haha.

But make sure the light has a cage around it :-)

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 pm

oh thanks for the tip, I've got them in a small cheapy terrarium (cheap as chips job) atm with a nano exo terra canopy with UV light on top.... but I did see a longer terrarium at aggies that was relatively cheap which had light fittings and cages already installed. I might invest in it in a few weeks and see if I can get some of this green happening!

Thunil
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Thunil » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:43 am

thanks for all the responses guys. I reckon I'll check out gumtree and call around a few places to try and source the frogs.

I called aggies the other day and apparently they have 2 adult southern bells for sale if anyone is interested (I won't be ready for any for a few weeks yet)

Cheers,
Daniel

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:18 am

yeh aggies are good but i personally havent been there yet to have a look but i will some day lol

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm

does anyone know if feathers and fins is still around their number is disconnected I wanted to add a couple more bell frogs since I am in the process of getting the ones I have a bigger house. I heard they sold some earlier in the year.

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:25 pm

feathers and fins at surrey downs? if so he closed down around the end of january, he did have an ad on gumtree for magnificents, if its still up you could get his number off there, i did have it some where but misplaced it a few days ago

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

yeah thats the one thanks i'll check out gum tree

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Ive sent you a pm with his number just in case you didnt find it, i got some green and gold bells and magnificents off him just before he closed, they are very healthy frogs and he wouldnt sell them to me until he was happy with there development which was good, havent had a problem with them and there growing so fast before long they (magnificents) will be in with my adult GTFs

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 pm

yeah thanks i've followed up with him and he has some and seems like a reliable breeder so all good thanks. :)

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:59 pm

no worries buddy, glad i could help

Return to “Keeping frogs”