How do you dust crickets with calcium powder

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Yeh sure can. i get my containers from the reject shop 3 bucks each.

Tin Lizzy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Tin Lizzy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Just on dusting the crickets - put their tub in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to slow them down, tip some into a plastic bag, put in some calcium powder, shake the bag about a bit and voila! stupefied dusted crickets ready to eat. Tip the dusted crickets into the frogs' tank, they'll warm up quickly (very quickly!) and start moving about, dinner time for frogs.

I chill the crickets for my early morphs anyway, the crickets are very slow as they warm up and it gives the morphs more of a chance to realise they are looking at food and catch it. It's also much easier to pour chilled pinheads into a tank than leaping ones. Don't leave them in the fridge too long though or you will kill them.

Warwick29
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby Warwick29 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks! I am feeding Wallace (one of my frogs) crickets all the time but he is always skinny :( I don't know what is wrong, but Gilbert is fine! :D
Last edited by Warwick29 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 pm

And don't try to zap them super fast in a freezer, thinking you will leave them in there for like 2 mins and 3 hrs later remembering. Hmmmm oops

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Well doesnt matter as long as he is eating he wont die.

Return to “Keeping frogs”