SBTF morphling drowned

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Tin Lizzy
tadpole
tadpole

SBTF morphling drowned

Postby Tin Lizzy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:38 pm

This morning we found one of our morphs floating stretched out and dead.

We're on our third year of raising tads and this is the first one which has drowned. All the morphs are moved out of the tad tank into the morphs box at four leg stage. The morphs box is set up as a dry land habitat with a small pool (bottom 1/3 of an iceream container with 5 cm of water, gravel, leaves and rocks.) There's a rock in each corner of the pool and this was a young tree frog so how on earth could it have drowned? The marshies haven't had any trouble getting in and out and the poor little body was surrounded by siblings sitting on the exit rocks. It was undersized but had been eating well. I guess something panicked it and it just swam straight againt the sides of the container until it was exhausted, how should I change the setup so it doesn't happen again? This year I have several unusually small morphs, perhaps this was natural selection at work but I prefer not to let that happen to my pets. :(

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:08 pm

all I could suggest is plenty of sticks and things they can climb out onto hanging down into the water, angled so it's easy to climb up them

Tin Lizzy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Tin Lizzy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:00 am

I am posting a plea for help in the health & diseases section. I've now lost eight and another one very sick tonight. The last few have been well past morph stage, strong healthy frogs and they didn't drown - I took the waterbowl out after finding the fourth or fifth morph dead in it.

Return to “Keeping frogs”