Croaking tips.

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Jules
metamorphling
metamorphling

Croaking tips.

Postby Jules » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Ok so I have been keeping 5 red eyes for a few years now and had them in quite a simple set up. As shown in photo 1. Basically its fake grass, pot plant and water dish. Oh and heat mat underneath for winter days. Oh and UV light of course. I kept meaning to upgrade but they were pretty happy in there but didn't croak much.
Anyway so I finally upgraded. Large water area, more room, live plants etc. photo 2 and 3. So the frogs loved it. So much they were croaking every night all night. I thought I might have to get rid of them. They are in the lounge room and we could hardy hear the telly and waking the kids.
So here are some tips on how to stop the croaking.

1st don't mist or spray in the evening. This raises moisture levels and can set them off.

2. Try keeping water levels a bit lower. I had seen a pond on the gold coast that had heaps of tadpoles in it but was about to evaporate. I also noticed that my frogs would jump into the water and swim around a lot before croaking. I figured that they have a certain depth of water that they like before they think it is good for breeding. If they start croaking at night the first thing I do is lower the water level. I built drainage plugs into the tank for that.

3. Sin bin. I found that one of the frogs was the main culprit. I have four males and one female. I found that one of the males became the dominant one and does most of the calling. I have a Chinese container with holes in the lid I give it a quick spray with water and catch him and put him in there for the night. This works quite well.

4. Lights back on. If they are all going nuts and water levels and sin bins are not working you can turn the lights back on for the night. This will stop them almost certainly. This is however not real good for them as you are playing with their biorhythms, but if you just need to sleep that night this will work.

Having said all that, I do like to let them call at least once a week to get it out. Hope this helps anyone who likes keeping frogs but needs a break or like me has small children that do not need waking up in the middle of the night.
Attachments
IMG_0903a.jpg
New tank.
IMG_2268a.jpg
Construction of exo-terra 60x45
IMG_0693a.jpg
Old tank.

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Nice set up looks very natural, cheers for the tips aswell ill keep them in mind next time my green and gold bells and GTFs start croaking away, i dont seem to have much trouble with my red eyes croaking, they do croak but are reasonably quiet

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 am

5. Or you could get rid of them.

Return to “Keeping frogs”