New Setup for my peronii's tank!

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

MrFordEL
frog
frog

New Setup for my peronii's tank!

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey guys sold my Browns yesterday and now going to use this vivarium for my peronii until i get the next tank and red eyes.

But this is going to carry over with the red eyes in the same tank and everything.

This was my first attempt at making a false floor for this tank i made it out of 8mm gutter guard but this is the flexi stuff not the solid material.

I have got some pvc pipe probably 50mm round cut them into the height as my floor. i chose the use flexi mesh because im not putting much substrate on top of it and its alot easier to remove and place back into the tank.

On the side i have cut out a square hole for where the water pump is going to go for my waterfall which hopefully goes to plan like i think it will.

only done a little bit today its all i had time for but will continue this next weekend and hopegully complete this assignment.

But here is some pictures of my first false floor.

This one is where my pump is going. i dont think there would be a problem with this pump being on its side.

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Looks like your going to enjoy yourself with this! I must say Good luck and keep us posted!

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 pm

very interesting, i'll watch how u do it and possibly do the same when my red eyes get bigger and I upgrade them to a bigger terrarium.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:03 pm

yeh you can get solid gutter guard and mesh gutter guard i choose the 8mm because like i said there isnt going to much substrate on it.

Saves me going to spend $300 on rocks when this all cost me $25 just need the hose for the waterfall and the aquatic plants and im all done.

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:46 pm

seems like a good relatively afforable experiment, keep us posted with pics as it develops

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 am

Will do

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:29 am

I brought all the equipment to do this waterfall feature just hoping it works the way i want it to. but should be ok.

I used a aqua one maxi 102pump for this which fitted a 8mm hose and got that running all the way through up to the top of the tank.

But ill be posting more pictures tonight of my process.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm

awww boo the maxi 102 pump i have doesnt have enough pressure to pump the water up to the top to try make the waterfall lol.

looks like i cant do nothing until the weekend now.

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 pm

yeah i was wondering what kind of pump was required....bugger hope you can return it

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:44 pm

nah i had this one sitting in the cupboard for a while and thought ill try this one before i need to buy one but i might go with a power head this time not a actual pump it does the same type of job if not bettet, AND i can lay on its side.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Wooooo, stupid of me!

I sat here and thought about gettin a new pump but the reason why it didnt have enough pressure is even tho the pipe had holes in it but the holes closed back over so there for the the pump was doing its job but there was no where to release the pressure for the water to come out of.

Fixed it all up now and she is working a beauty. get some more pictures tomorrow and going to do more on the wekkend and HOPEFULLY have it finished by then also, my peronii's are growing fast by the day.

One of the guys is bigger then a 20 cent piece and a eating MACHINE lol.

Gunna be excited once this is done.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 am

Looking forward to seeing end result

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 pm

I have one of those exo terra waterfalls in my perons tanks and it always seems to lose pressure, dunno if its a crappy pump or not, might invest in a better one soon. And yeah a few of those perons are at the 20c piece mark or bigger they have quite an appetite I do agree!

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Well they do grow to about 5 cm so seems like there half way.

I would rather DIY then buy from a shop, its more fun making it yourself and alot cheaper also hehe.

All i have to do now is cut holes in this false floor for the palnts i am getting which are aquatic plants that can grow outside of water. a mate has one that he has had for agers and the thing is still going strong with flowering 2.

I wish it was saturday today lol.

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm

yeah that's why I will watch your experiment....I'll try a more DIY approach when I upgrade my red eyes later this year. Let me know what kind of aquatic plants you can get as well an substrate etc

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm

ok will do.

for now its going to be rocks until i get the lava moss and the sphagnum moss to cover over the rocks.

ok so what i have done is shorten the flase floor to 7cm not 10 cm

also had to cut the pipes to hold it up to 7 cm and also cut another one for better support.

here if the waterfall feature i have made.

this is the hose connected to the pump which just turns on.
This is the hose running up through the back of the tank.
This is the hose running up the top for the water feature. PLUS the frogs cant camp up there because of the hose :-)

Ok this is the new mods to the false floor. like i said been drop 3cm and more piping to hold better suppport.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:28 am

Im going to i different plan with goiong with pond plants instead of normal plants as the roots will be under water 24/7.

need BOG and shallow water plants but i need to find a nursery or garden place that will sell these to me :-)

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Pictures

Postby MrFordEL » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:54 pm

updating now this is the tank with 5 aquatic plants. they looked much better but when moving rocks around the false floor it kinda killed them a little but they will fire back up and ill start getting some pictures then they do.

here is some pictures i hope you like.

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 pm

troy were there aquatic plants easy to come across? where did you get them and what kinds are they?

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:14 pm

I just went to bunnings and got them. They didnt have much but i did manage to get them at $10 a plant.

Place up in one tree hill sells alot of pond plants but it was to far for me this time to travel. all bunnings should have them.

Its only been 9 hours and the plants are starting to liven up again.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Ok now i have finished this tank and the peronii's are in their, their loving it jumping around dippin in the water jump through the plants and having a field day.

well here is a picture fromt he front and try get one from the water side tonight

highlyevolved
frog
frog

Postby highlyevolved » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 pm

cool great set up and done on the cheap....I like the look of the aquatic plants to. I'll try my own version of that later in the year. I think your peron's will be very greatful for their upgrade.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:07 pm

mind you its looks better in real life then on here!

They jump branch to branch and hide in under all the plants waiting for crickets to walk past.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Love. You've done a good job

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

yeh the good thing is i can stick a water heater under the false floor when winter comes around to keep some heat in the tank

Return to “Keeping frogs”