Cannibalism or escapees?

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

talanthas
spawn
spawn

Cannibalism or escapees?

Postby talanthas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:46 am

I had 1 adult L. tasmaniensis in a 4ft tank where I have a bunch of taddies growing. I have had a couple of them morph over the last couple of days and promptly vanish. I've since caught the adult that was in the enclosure and moved it into a new home. I haven't been able to find the morphlings so my question is, did the adult eat them (most likely scenario imo) or are they loose in the house?

First time since I was a kid that I have raised taddies so trying to learn from my mistakes fairly quickly

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 am

I have some striped marshies and a similar thing happened to me. I put a morphling in the tank with adults and he/she hid behind a log all the time. To feed him, I just dropped the food in the hiding spot. Because of this success, I put another morphling in and it soon disappeared:(
If you can't find your morphlings hiding (keeping in mind that they are GREAT at hiding) then the adult has most likely had a bit of a snack :(
Hopefully they are just hiding!

talanthas
spawn
spawn

Postby talanthas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 am

I thought it was most likely the adult snacking :( Ah well I now know to keep them separated better

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:25 am

That's a shame :( Hopefully you will have more success next time.
Right now, I'm waiting for my youngest Froggy to be big enough to move in with the others (this being the frog that NEARLY got cannibalized a few months ago) he is a bit lonely and I'm not quite sure how big is big enough to transfer him. Does anyone have any advice for this situation? Not meaning to dominate this thread:(

*ADRIAN*
frog
frog

Postby *ADRIAN* » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:28 am

more than likely im sorry to say the adult would have eaten the morphling, majority of frogs will eat anything that will fit in there mouths so if there was a good size difference thats the more than likely scenerio but i may be wrong keep looking you may find them

talanthas
spawn
spawn

Postby talanthas » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 am

Well after a couple of days of searching I found almost all of the missing morphlings. Looks like I only lost the 1. I'm just glad I caught on before I lost more

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm glad you found most of them then!

Return to “Keeping frogs”