Breeding my brownies and marshies

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Tin Lizzy
tadpole
tadpole

Breeding my brownies and marshies

Postby Tin Lizzy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi, I'd like my frogs to spawn but they're just not getting it on...

I have some SBTFs of varying sizes and sources, all roughly a year old. The biggest is about 1.5 x the size of my littlest. (Out of 7 frogs, three smaller ones might not be brownies at all, because they don't have a creamy jaw stripe.) None of them call. Four of them look like little balls, they are as wide as they are long with really, really fat bellies. All seem to be happy, eat well, rather indolent but will leap for crickets. Have I been unlucky and got all males? If they're females, will they be OK if they never spawn? Does anyone have a SBTF stud I could borrow?

I also have a pair of spotted marsh frogs. They're definitely a male and a female from sizes, throat colour, the male calling last summer and the pair mating last summer (infertile eggs). This year no calls, no mating. How can I get them to breed?

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 am

do you vary the light and temperature? A while ago, I bought a couple of marshies that had just spawned, kept them in a tank with the same lighting conditions year round and had nothing happen. As soon as I started to match the lighting conditions to the seasons (ie light on from about 6am-8pm during summer and 8am-6pm during winter) suddenly they're calling and getting jiggy with it :lol:

Tin Lizzy
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Tin Lizzy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks Chris - I'd moved them all into a luxurious new home with more dispersed, and constant, light - will see if I can change this to evoke the season for luurve.

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:25 pm

My Striped marshies started spawning a few minutes ago, I didn't need to encourage them at all but maybe the storm induced them:)
(at the moment they just have natural light)
Mine seem to prefer breeding in clean water (without plants and such) but whether this is normal, I do not know.

Return to “Keeping frogs”