Striped marsh spawn

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Striped marsh spawn

Postby Litoria Alex » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:09 pm

My lovely striped marsh frogs Raya (daddy) and Ping (mummy) had babies last night! When this has happened in the past, I have had trouble transferring them out of the tank. They were layed in a clear square lunchbox type container and I have a spare one for the frogs once I move the babies out. Should I remove the spawn or wait until the tadpoles hatch and strengthen? I would really appreciate advice as i have not had much luck in the past, thanks:)

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Hmmm, if you say they layed their eggs in a lunch box, i would keep the taddies in their ulti maybe 1 week has passed after they hatch into taddies!

Remember too feed them frozen lettuce, or frozen endive!

I also have good news, one of my SBTF's was croaking from about 1am to 3am this morning, i just sat their and listened too him! It was fantastic, and all the females lined up in a row on one of the vines, they came after awhile of croaking but nothing really happened after that, looks like im going to need some water plants!

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks, yeah the lunchbox is their water dish as it is easy to remove and clean and big enough for the frogs. I left the taddies in with the frogs last time but for quite a while longer than a week. Unfortunately the outcome wasnt so good because the water got clogged with cocopeat.The remaining taddies are now in a large fish tank. Congratulations in advance for your froggies! Mine called and sat in the water together on and off for a day or two before spawning. So hopefully yours will also spawn soon. I would post pictures of mine if I was technological enough to know how from my iPod :)

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Bad News

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:11 am

My babies appear to be GONE. There were hundreds of eggs that appeared to be unfertilised. As for the few that were, there's no sign of them. :( This is weird because the Ping made her nicest foam nest yet. I don't know what went wrong. :(

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Dont worry about that, this happened to me and the eggs just sank to the bottom and didnt hatch as they were unfertilised....and now a month later he tries again and now i have lots of marshie tads :D

But when they breed again, remove the eggs ( and foam) into another tank full of water plants....trust me, you dont wanna be scooping out tadpoles one by one :P

Alex

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks :) yeah I don't want to be scooping out tadpoles one at a time, I was planning on keeping them in the dish they were layed in and slowly lowering that into a larger tank. It would probably be safer for the babies if they have the protection of their nest too. It is sad for the mummy and daddy frogs because they sit and watch their eggs all day. When I removed the unfertilised ones this morning, Ping (mummy frog) actually lunged for them and just watched as I moved them:(

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Ok, so they spawned again on Monday, but again, no luck. None of them hatched! I noticed that, while Ping (the mother) made a nice foam nest, the eggs were layed underneath it and missed the nest. Another thing is that a stupid moth kept getting stuck in the frothy mass and the next day the frogs stirred up the eggs. I don't know if ALL of these factors contributed but in the past they've had the same conditions and more success.
Are there any frogsperts with advice?
Thank you:)

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

once you see the bunch of egg spawn remove it straight away and put it in another container bucket of water

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Ok, thanks.
What do I do if the eggs aren't in the foam--fertilized but just sitting in the water? Are they less protected like that?
Thanks again

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:31 pm

argh well they wont be any good. if its in the foamy stuff make sure you get the lot of that and u'll be fine

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey that happened to me where the eggs were in a clump and werent in the foam, mine actually sunk to the bottom and didnt hatch. You should just scoop them out whether they hatch or not :)

Alex

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 pm

they aint fertilized if they aint covered in foam so its the female releasing her eggs that was produced.

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 pm

They can be fertilised, the eggs just need to be at the surface while developing so yeh i doubt the ggs are alive but you may aswell scoop em out than leave them there

Alex

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:49 pm

i thought the male frog fertilizing them the same time she is laying them?!?!?!?

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks,
Hopefully I'll get to them early enough next time.
It's not like I need more frogs around anyway:)

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 am

Yeh he does, but i reckon it'd be pretty difficult developing under water, so thats why there is a nest of foam :D

Alex

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 pm

I thought it would be easier to develop under the water attached to plant like other species. It's amazing how different species have entirely different preferences!

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Well I mean like right under water without anything attatched but i spose being attatech to water plants would be good :D

Alex

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Well, I don't have water plants which could be a problem.
I seemed to have no trouble in the past, they seem to have forgotten how to lay eggs IN the foam!

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Haha well I have quite a lot of water plants. I dont tend to use a lot of duckweed (i keep it to a minimum amount in the water but its still there looking good) but i also use 'elodia' which is really great and sort of 'glows' in the water occasionally.

those plants can encourage your frogs to breed :D

Alex

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks, I'll invest in some greenery:)

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:31 pm

It is definately money well spent :)

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:14 pm

I dont have a big water dish for them and they don't tend to call when their water is obstructed. How dense would I make the plants?

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:32 pm

For marsh frogs, they love lots of water :D

I try to make atleast 1/2 water 1/2 land...about 2 inches of water and a few bits of elodia, duckweed, rocks etc.

In my marsh tank i have a divider (1/3 water 2/3 land) so there is about 5 inches of water because there is less surface area, and a lot of land and hiding spots for winter hibernation.

Dont hesitate to ask any more questions, I am more than happy to help! :D

Alex

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks! Hope this works but it SHOULD be a picture of my marshies set up:
Http://instagr.am/p/HLkbfeOSl3
They have a good water land ratio I think, but it's not ideal.

Return to “Keeping frogs”