All about flies

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

obsidian
frog
frog

All about flies

Postby obsidian » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:12 pm

Ok... maybe not all about flies, but Gerry answered my questions on flies and I decided to make a new topic rather than add it to the buying flies one. http://frogs.org.au/community/viewtopic.php?t=641&start=15

I'll also link to this because I thought it was cool and relevant http://insected.arl.arizona.edu/flyrear.htm

I did find an interesting site on breeding flies the other day, but I can't find it again.... But I did find this, and I just had to include it here because it's just too funny! http://www.flypower.com/index.html

Stuff in {these brackets} are my own thoughts, the rest is from the notes I jotted down :)

Little Flies
The little flies I asked about are called "grass flies" and make a good food for the frogs. They are best found in well manicured lawns {Amazed they were in mine then!} - Ones that have been fertilised and often mown and have the one type of grass (Eg. Football field or Bowling green {Golf Course?}).
Having one type of grass helps prevent you catching several different bugs instead of just the grass flies.

ARC won't be breeding these (They do have house flies though, which would probably be a better choice for larger frogs anyway), but they are easy to catch yourself, using something like a homemade net using a coathanger and a stocking {These flies are very tiny so need a fine fabric} with a plastic bottle on the end to hold the flies. Instead of making it round like a net normally is, make one edge flat so you can scoop it across the grass easily. As you swish it around the grass, the flies will fly up out of the grass and {hopefully} into the net.

{I did read something on a website yesterday about flies, and it said you could put them in the fridge for 4-8 minutes to make them sleepy, which might be helpful when moving the flies about}

Feeding Flies
Flies that have just hatched aren't overly nutritious (Though they make for good exercise for our froggies), so it is best to keep the flies for 1-2 days before feeding them to your frogs so you can feed them {Like you would gutload a cricket}. A suggested mix is 70% bran, 20% milk powder, 10% yeast and enough water to make it into a liquidy paste (so flies will not drown). The milk and yeast is their food, the bran just helps thicken it. A piece of cotton wool can be used to stop the flies drowning in it too. You'll notice the flies have a white belly when they have eaten the mix, and thats when they are suitable for feeding to the frogs.

{So I assume making that mix up and putting it into a container with the fly pupae (so that as they hatch they can eat) is the way to go}

Fly Sizes and Frogs Digestion
It is better to feed frogs more smaller prey than fewer large ones. This is because they get more nutrition from smaller prey as they don't chew so smaller food digests better {So its sort of like us swallowing food whole vs chewing it.}. And if you have several sized frogs in the tank you should only feed the size appropriate for the smallest frogs to avoid something getting stuck during digestion. Flies heads and wings will come out in frog droppings as they aren't digested as well as the body.

{I happened to see program about frogs the other day and it explained that the way the frogs eat is to crush the food using a bone in the top of their mouth, which is why their eyes pop into their heads as they swallow - that action is crushing the food a bit.}

---I think that was pretty much it. Thanks gerry! Now I know a whole lot more about the humble fly and hopefully this helps other people too!

speck
frog
frog

Re: All about flies

Postby speck » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:02 pm

obsidian wrote:{I did read something on a website yesterday about flies, and it said you could put them in the fridge for 4-8 minutes to make them sleepy, which might be helpful when moving the flies about}

I really wish i read this last night. I have so many flies in my room after trying to put them in with my frogs.

At least i'll be able to try it next time :)

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:37 pm

Heh. My cats knocked over my 2 cricket containers once.... so I literally had about a hundred crickets through the house. I kept finding them everywere! I constantly have a few escape as I am transferring them into the tank..

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:44 pm

ditto when my wife does it, all of a sudden tehre's a shriek of "crickets on the loose!" and super chris has to come to the rescue with the trusty glass jar and piece of cardboard :D :D

djben1
frog
frog

Postby djben1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 pm

lol i did that yesterday with my woodies only they ran straight to the gaps in the skirting board in my room and i o nly recovered 20 %

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:33 pm

My cats soon clear up any stray critters! (Well, most of the time) So I don't worry about the few that get loose now and then.

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:20 pm

I've dropped a container of woodies on the floor too - they were turning up days later on the ceiling and walls. They run so fast. I eventually caught most of them... i think.

Is there anything else you can feed to flies apart from the suggested fly food mix? How come yeast is in the mix? I didn't even know you could buy yeast :?

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:14 am

'course you can - what do you use to make bread rise? costs like $2 for 5x 7g sachets, or something like that.

obsidian
frog
frog

Postby obsidian » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:31 pm

so (obviously) you'll find it among the flour/breadmaking type section of most supermarkets (or perhaps around where the cake making stuff is).

it makes bread, pizza dough, some pastries.... all kinds of yummy things.. and, apparently, fly food :)

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Cricket traps

Postby Eipper » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi all,

You can get "cricket traps."

If you use them without the poison, they collect the escapee crickets/ woodies for you. Hold them alive, till you empty them into the cage that you were feeding into, in the first place.

Not sure where you can get them from though...maybe some of the larger Herp Shops (maybe Upmarket Aquarium in Melbourne) may stock them?

Regards,
Scott Eipper

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:10 pm

obsidian wrote:so (obviously) you'll find it among the flour/breadmaking type section of most supermarkets (or perhaps around where the cake making stuff is).

I even looked in the flour aisle... I must be blind. I'll look again tomorrow :)

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:00 pm

here's the stuff i use. find it in the flour section, like obsidian said :) i *think* it's above or quite close to the vanilla essence and food colourings, with cornflour near it too. of course, that's my local safeway, so yours might be a bit different ;-)

frog border optional LOL just the picture frame that happened to be behind it when i took the photo, thought i'd leave it in for a grin :)
Attachments
yeast.jpg

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:43 am

:lol: You Guys shopping for yeast! So cute! :lol:

You can also buy fresh yeast from the deli deprtment.

Plus I expect you would need it to make home brewed beer, so if you can't find it near the flour (but it should be there) have a look around anywhere that deals with home brewing.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:35 pm

that's the yeast i use to make bread dough, not fly food :p i haven't *made* fly food yet!

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Yay! Now i know what to look for! I wasn't looking for a box, some how i thought it would be packaged in a plastic bag - i don't know how i got that idea. Love the photo frame! :D

Ann - definately wasn't in the home brewing section, i was surprised it wasn't. Beer was the first thing that came to mind in my hunt for yeast. :lol:

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre

Fly food

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:48 am

If there is enough interest in fly food ARC could package ours up and sell it through the ARCade. It is a bit better than the quick mix I suggested online, but has too many ingredients (some not easy to find) for most people to bother with.

let me know if you guys are keen

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:04 am

please go here to register interest in fly food from the ARCade.

cheers
chris

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:03 pm

To buy insects from the ARCade using a money order, do i send a letter to ARC listing what i want with the money order enclosed? I'm sure someone asked this before... i can't find where it is though. :?

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Gerry Marantelli wrote:Yes you can use cheque or money order to purchase ARC food insects. Just send your request for food and postage costs to: ARC, PO Box 1365 Pearcedale 3912. Attach a note with exactly what you want and an address to send. But the online system is quicker and easier if you pay by credit card.

I would add to that (if I may be so bold!) that you'll need to plan a little for post-pay, ie. crickets are collected and posted on Tuesdays, so your payment would need to be at the ARC by Monday at the latest, Friday would be better i imagine. so post your request and payment between Wednesday and Friday of the week before you want to get the crickets and you shouldn't have any worries.

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:38 pm

You found it! :)

I'll have to send my order this week.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:44 pm

man, i read just about every post here ;-) i knew the one you were after, just took a few minutes searching to find it!

speck
frog
frog

Postby speck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:10 pm

Yeah, i gave up after looking through a few different topics! :shock:

I'm probably pushing my luck here, but does the ARCade sell little baby woodies? :D

If i had successfully kept my adult woodies alive long enough and bred them, i'd probably have some by now! :x It doesn't matter if they don't sell them... just thought i should give my red eyes a bit more variety. I might have to try and breed them again.

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:40 pm

we do sell mixed woodies and will be selling sorted ones soon on the ARCade - Keep a lookout during March we will be launching quite a few changes and additions to our food area of the ARCade.

djben1
frog
frog

Postby djben1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:38 pm

will it b on newwsleter?

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:20 pm

Yes Dave will include notices of changes new products etc on the newsletter. You will also soon be able to order online and pay by cheque or money order (send payment in the mail) We will of course have to wait for payment before sending goods at least until we know and trust you.

Return to “Keeping frogs”