Feeding Pet Frogs

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:18 pm

Try getting a small plastic container with a ventilated lid and placing him in it to feed.

Walrus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Walrus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:27 pm

Somewhat irrelevant, but I fed a moth to my frogs tonight! ..it was my first time ya see...so I was excited to see who got it and to my delight it was Shrimpy. He's a lot smaller than the other two frogs by about 1/4. He eats well though so I'm not worried and he's grown since I got him. I just caught the moth in a jar and let it fly in the tank. The moth was unimpressive (crawled around). Good to see it devoured.

Does anyone have any problems with frogs being aggresive towards each other? nothing serious but they do sometimes jump at each other and it looks unfriendly..not constantly or anything. Just thought I'd ask...maybe I'll do a search :wink:

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:59 pm

They aren't the most intelligent beings, when they see something move, they will try to eat it. This means when they see a small part (head or leg) of another frog, they will pounce on it to eat it. It is never succesful, unless the frog is significantly larger. Cane Toads have been reported to eat ping pong balls!

Walrus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Walrus » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:05 pm

At least a ping pong ball would compress and hopefully be expelled , lol
Imagine a golf ball! :lol:
I didnt even think about their intelligence...
Cheers,
Sal.

gretskibb
frog
frog

Postby gretskibb » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:39 pm

I already have Alvin in a small container by himself, with a tiny bit of water as he stays in it.
If I leave him in another one with no water then he couldn't stay in it- I'd have to move him all the time. I think he does eat- I plan to wait another day or two- if I'm happy that he's eating I'll put him back with others :)

gretskibb
frog
frog

update

Postby gretskibb » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 am

me again- Alvin seems to be eating, I have actually seen him now :)
I put him back with the others and this morning I saw him eating with his friends!
I can't wait fo them to grow more so they can have the big tank to play in!
Cheers :D

Michigan J
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan J » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi all, first post here but been lurking for a while, picking up some good info.
I have 2 GTFs, been feeding them medium & large crickets, which they seem to enjoy more now the tank is properly set up with some foliage & tree branch "bridge". They both seem to enjoy the hunting as well as the eating.
Tried them on earthworms last night- one had two goes & then decided he didn't like the taste, the other got hold of one end of the worm & shovelled the rest in with her feet.
Will be getting some flies soon too.
Someone here said they feed frogs bits of beef etc- is this OK? Think mine will go for anything if you wiggle it in front of them.

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:33 pm

Michigan J wrote:Hi all, first post here but been lurking for a while, picking up some good info.
I have 2 GTFs, been feeding them medium & large crickets, which they seem to enjoy more now the tank is properly set up with some foliage & tree branch "bridge". They both seem to enjoy the hunting as well as the eating.
Tried them on earthworms last night- one had two goes & then decided he didn't like the taste, the other got hold of one end of the worm & shovelled the rest in with her feet.
Will be getting some flies soon too.
Someone here said they feed frogs bits of beef etc- is this OK? Think mine will go for anything if you wiggle it in front of them.

Hi Michigan welcome to posting! :D
I have heard of people giving there frogs beef and then having worms, so I personally won't be giving any to my frogs.
Ann

gretskibb
frog
frog

Postby gretskibb » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:16 pm

I think definately keep it natural- they wouldn't get beef in the wild- stick to grubs/ insects.

Sandstorm101
spawn
spawn

Feeding

Postby Sandstorm101 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Hello. I own a small captive frog I only just caught, and was wondering. Do pet stores and pet places have, like, meal worms and things? I'll try the 'put mean in a jar' to attract flies, that sounds great... Actually, we just had dinner so I might do that now... Anyway. Thanks for the feeding guide - it's fantastic!

Herpetology
frog
frog

Postby Herpetology » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 am

yes some do but most good ones sell meal worms i think you can buy them here on this site from the ARC if not i may be able to sell them to ya!

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Meal worms are not the best option anyway, protein/fat/chiton ratios aren't that good.
You are much better off feeding them crickets, roaches or house flies and you should find crickets easier to get.

Ann

BigWillieStyles
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby BigWillieStyles » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:29 am

bump to a cool thread :D

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm

I have kept my very old spotted marsh frogs on a diet of JUST crickets theeee whole time.
Is this a good idea or???
Is it okay to find bugs and insects from under a plank of wood from out the back?
Are meal worms fine for them to eat?
THANKYOU! :D :D :D

BigWillieStyles
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby BigWillieStyles » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Marshie Man wrote:I have kept my very old spotted marsh frogs on a diet of JUST crickets theeee whole time.
Is this a good idea or???
Is it okay to find bugs and insects from under a plank of wood from out the back?
Are meal worms fine for them to eat?
THANKYOU! :D :D :D

Do you dust your crickets?

Mealworms are fine. I have used meal worms for frogs and birds for years without issues. But if you have a substrate where they can burrow quickly, they can be difficult to feed.

Ive been feeding my RETFs crickets and been experimenting with sizes. Have worked out small crickets are too small and seem to escape/drown easily while the large crickets were too big for the frogs. Medium works a treat. Im thinking of trying woolies next, but am a bit fearful of them escaping.

How often do you feed your frogs?

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:23 pm

I occasionally dust my crickets with calcium.
Thanks I will feed them mealworms (one of my tanks has a substrate)
I feed my 2 adult spotted marsh frogs about 2 medium crickets each, twice a week ;)

RETRAC75
tadpole
tadpole

Postby RETRAC75 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Im thinking of trying woolies next, but am a bit fearful of them escaping

Fluon Paint works a treat.. paint it around the top of the container and it stops the lil buggers from climbing out.. and a tigh fitting lid with flywire guards accidental tipping.

Return to “Keeping frogs”