Feeding Pet Frogs

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

storm_the_wltf
spawn
spawn

Postby storm_the_wltf » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:42 pm

Recently my white lipped tree frog has stopped eating, he doesnt seem at all interested in the crickets. Any one have any suggestions? He hasn't eaten for about a week and a half :cry:

jessea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby jessea » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:19 pm

:cry: Sorry to hear that your frogs aren't eating... I have GTF and at times they go off their food. I hand feed them crickets and meal worms.. occasionally woodies etc. I find teasing them.. that is moving the food infront of them... is often the way to make sure they eat when reluctant. Often holding them when feeding can help. I offer on a daily or second day basis when not happy. Make sure their water is clean and appealing and the temperature is OK. Dont forget that our hands often carry problems also. Wash and rinse before attempting to feed and handle.
Good luck. I hope all goes well.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:49 am

Could just be that it's winter and they're slowing everything down but without info on your tank and such, it's kinda hard to make an accurate judgement.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:53 pm

jessea wrote:I have GTF ... Often holding them when feeding can help.

infrafrenata have a different temperament to regular GTF, I find mine get far too stressed to eat when I'm holding them, they much prefer to be left alone in the tank :) whereas my colleague at work has GTF who walk onto his hand when he puts his hand in the tank!

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:33 pm

my gtfs and maggys eat from my hand

NiHiL
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby NiHiL » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:23 pm

I dont make a habit of feeding my frogs from my hand, but i know they will eat meal worms from hand. never tryed cricketz thou....

and what time of day does everyone else feed there frogs? (just wondering) :?:

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:10 pm

8-10pm

NiHiL
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby NiHiL » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 pm

thats the same time as me, the frogs seem to come to life around then...

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07 pm

I feed mine crickets, just before i go 2 bed, which usually between 10 and 11.30. It's so relaxing to sit there and watch them walking/jumping around.

I haven't tried them with anything else than crickets. I might try flies next time we get them in at work...

NiHiL
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby NiHiL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:20 pm

ok, so i was watching my frogs feeding habits, and i noticed that they cant jump :? i have maggys and there ment to be able jump but when they take a leap the flop onto their back :wink: its amusing but not normal... ummm... yeh and they wont really eat unless the cricket walks infront of there face, ummmm... yeh its so weird its like there legs arnt strong enuff or somthing...

any idea's????? :?: :arrow:

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:03 pm

hmm my maggys jump fine and i have seen then pick off crickets across the tank, where and when did u get you maggys cos i got mine off herptrader from soem lady in manly and my guys had undigested poos so i gave them nematode treatment and they seem to be fine now and have had regular poos for 2 weeks. my friend said that the nematodes might have come from the breeder so i would check your frogs poos for any parasites wich may be causing nerve damage but dont rely on what i have said.

NiHiL
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby NiHiL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:18 pm

my frogs poo seems fine :?
and im not sure who my pet shop got the frogs throu....
but they look fine they eat well enough i think
so yeh ill just wait and see if somthing else happens

Hunter Dmx
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Hunter Dmx » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:44 pm

I feed my toad mice.

occalot
metamorphling
metamorphling

dung beetles??

Postby occalot » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi guys!! more feeding questions....
Are spotted feeding roaches and/or dung beetles ok to feed wgtfs??
Are you better to feed your frogs outside their cage so you know how much etc each frog gets?
so many questions......
Thanks Occalot!

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:43 pm

The easiest thing to feed gtfs is crickets, becasue you can buy them cheap from a local pet shop, but they will really eat anything. You can feed them in or out of the tank, it doesn't really matter, I find it easier to just hand feed my frogs as I know they all get some food and so that they don't swallow a whole heap of pebbles while they are biting at the crickets.

Walrus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Walrus » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:48 pm

Occalot- when I first got my frogs I fed them all in seperate containers outside their tank because the way my tank is set up there's just too much chance that the crickets would drown or dissapear...I've taken to putting a container in the tank and just "shooing" the frogs into/onto it. They are really active this way and I think they are less stressed because they're still in their familiar surroundings. or thats my view.
generally all three get an even amount of food so long as I dont just pour a whole heap of crickets in at once.
Oh, I have 3 white lipped tree frogs.
Got a question myself...they morphed about May 10..I was wondering at what date should I decrease meal time. They're still getting fed every night on average 3 small/medium crickets each.

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:23 pm

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:27 pm

tnarg wrote:...becasue you can buy them cheap from a local pet shop...

I get my crickets in bulk from a dealer in QLD, I think they also have woodies and mealworms and a few other things. It is a lot cheaper buying 200 or so for $12 than getting 30-40 from your local pet shop for $15. (or whatever it costs). And if your game you could breed them yourself. But I think woodies breed faster and easier than crickets. :)
Last edited by Brad M on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Of course I know where you get your crickets from, as I get the from the same place, but they are relatively cheap from a pet shop $8 for about 40, with gutload. So whatever is easier for the person who wants to get them.

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre

why pay more?

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:32 pm

have you tried the ARCade crickets?
100g which is more than you get for 200 crickets from your breeder (QLD bred cks weigh about 0.4g each) even though we advertise this as 180 cks, we add 20% more and our cks are heavier! only $19 plus postage ($5 or$8 depending on where you are) For less cks try 25g or 45+cks for $5.50 plus postage.

And you will also be supporting frogs.org.au - and keeping us going so we can keep these forums going for you!

go to : frogs.org.au/arcade

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:38 pm

Well thats cheaper than where I get them now. :) I'll look into a bit further, by the sounds of it I'm changing supplier.

jessea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby jessea » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:49 am

:D I get my crickets through ARC. They deliver 2 separate sizes of crickets and a tube of fly pupa each week. The crickets are in good nick and the flies...well they hatch and get eaten!! Except for the ones which escape! Very happy with the serivce and it works out much cheaper than a trip to the pet shop (especially as I am not tepmted to buy other stuff whilst I am there).

gretskibb
frog
frog

Postby gretskibb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:56 am

hey- not sure if I've read this- but I have trouble with most of my little crickets drowning straight away when I put them in for my GTF's to eat!
Any suggestions?

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:59 pm

crickets are very good at drowning. make sure they can easily get out of the water. make sure they are warm and active before adding them. make sure they are discouraged from getting into the water. - or if this isn't possible - make sure the frogs eat them all before they get in the water.

gretskibb
frog
frog

Postby gretskibb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Ahh, easy to say I guess- my 'runt' frog does not eat too quick :!:
As for the water, there's only a little bit in there as he is by himself so I know he is eating.
I end up having to put alot of crickets in to make sure some stay alive :roll:
The other 3 GTF's are wonderful, they eat heaps and are such good hunters.
I hope Alvin learns quickly, but he is behind the others in size too :? I get worried about leaving him in there all by himself for too long, but I do not think he will catch food too easy with the other guts's :lol:

Return to “Keeping frogs”