Wanting to know if this is an acceptable setup option

For all those who care for our magnificent native frog fauna at home. Share information on enclosures, feeding, which frogs to select, and general care advice.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

InsanityShard
spawn
spawn

Wanting to know if this is an acceptable setup option

Postby InsanityShard » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:22 pm

I have a 3 foot wide, 2 foot tall, 2 foot wide child safe reptile tank. It is designed for baby turtles and has an irremovable dry dock. I tried turning it into an actual terrarium, which my 3 Green Tree Frogs loved, there were 4 then, but it got invaded by ants and we had to take the soil and plants out. I'm considering an alternative- setting it up like I would for baby turtles, but with false leaves and stuff over the dry dock. The dry dock is about 1 and a half feet wide, curved, and smack bang in the middle. I can't send pics, my camera won't connect to my computer. To set it up like I would for baby turtles: Add substrate (sand preferred), plant mildly, add many decorations (smooth only) such as driftwood, and enough of a ramp they can easily climb out of the water. I'm going to look into getting a new tank but I can't for months. It is fully ventilated, but I'd like one with more ventilation. They currently only have a 2l clean ice cream tub for water, I know they need more but it won't fit and you can't stick a divider in with that dry dock in the way, or remove the dry dock without damaging the glass sides of the tank. I could remove them to a separate container for feeding, as many turtle owners do to avoid fouling the water- the crickets keep drowning themselves as is. My frogs are Speckle, Buttstuff and Dripper. Speckle is the biggest, and has speckles on her back. Buttstuff has speckles on his butt, and Dripper has nearly no speckles. I had another one, one that stayed a lighter green than the other, named Peppermint. But the ants got her face, and I had to give her to a wildlife santuary. Despite leaving my details and her being a wild caught frog, they've not called and made no attempts to return her here. Buttstuff is the only male, all 4 are wild caught. I am fully aware of all laws regarding them, I have a reptile liscense and all. I initially took them because the drought here is so bad creeks and ponds are drying up. After the storms hit, I left the lid off for a few hours, but even though they were fully awake they made no attempts to leave. Since we had to remove their dirt and plants they've been depressed, not croaking, and Buttstuff lightened to Peppermints colour after she was taken and the others have become darker. They are still active if handled and recovering from their own injuries from the ants. It was not deep or bad enough to require any special attention. They just have pink/white stripes on their noses from it which are slowly fading. I was breeding my own crickets for them but somehow the baby crickets suddenly disappeared from their mini Terrarium and I can't figure out why.

InsanityShard
spawn
spawn

Re: Wanting to know if this is an acceptable setup option

Postby InsanityShard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 pm

If all frog forums are silent like this I'm screwed and my frogs are going to die. Goodbye.

Return to “Keeping frogs”