Does anyone know?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Does anyone know?

Postby adoptatadpole » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:54 pm

A picture speaks a thousand words - or something like that. About a month old.
Attachments
size01.jpg
Tiny one.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:43 am

It's a tricky one, especially when they are that small. The slightly elongate body makes me think it could be a Litoria of some description. The markings on the body could make it a young Litoria wilcoxi but I'd need to wait till they are bigger to be sure.

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby adoptatadpole » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:57 am

Aaron wrote:It's a tricky one, especially when they are that small. The slightly elongate body makes me think it could be a Litoria of some description. The markings on the body could make it a young Litoria wilcoxi but I'd need to wait till they are bigger to be sure.

Could be on the money mate. In the same tub they came out of (it's 5 weeks now - their miniature size still has me intrigued), I have found transparent individual, floating pods (like cooked tapioca) with a single dot in the middle of each one. I will be watching to see if these turn out to be the same speckled tadpole. Our gardens are fully mulched with leaf litter as well and we do hear heaps of different calls at night in the gardens, as well as the main pond.

A rough count around the place (pond and six garden water planters) comes to about 1000 to 1200 tadpoles.

The tapioca has hatched and little "flecks of ground pepper" are clinging to the side of the tub. Will be watching closely.

Cheers Al.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:12 pm

adoptatadpole wrote:In the same tub they came out of (it's 5 weeks now - their miniature size still has me intrigued), I have found transparent individual, floating pods (like cooked tapioca) with a single dot in the middle of each one.

Large floating egg capsules does sound like some kind of tree frog. But Litoria wilcoxi usually lays dark pigmented eggs attached to a rock surface or something similar, not floating in the water. But there could be a whole range of frogs breeding in your area at the moment which makes it difficult.

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby adoptatadpole » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:35 am

Getting bigger! Probably doubled in ten days.
Attachments
20151219 001s.jpg

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby adoptatadpole » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:30 am

Update.
Attachments
20160118_071550s.jpg

Return to “Identification”