Frog ID please

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Frog ID please

Postby tropicbreeze » Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 pm

It's a bit late in the season but still some frogs around. This first one was on a still damp sand plain in short vegetation. Photos were taken around dusk. There were quite a few of them around, all about the same size, approximately 15 mm long. The sand plain covered a very large area.

The second was in a rocky creek bed (probably 30 kms from the sand plain site) with a few remaining waterholes not far away. The creek was small surrounded by woodland with rocky outcrops. Not many of these frogs around, but the damp area of creek bed was quite small. The photos were taken very early morning but already broad daylight.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:21 pm

I think the first frog is a juvenile Uperoleia sp. If it is from around the Darwin area there is a chance it could be Uperoleia daviesae.

The second one I would guess is a Crinia remota.

Aaron

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks for that Aaron. The first photos were from the main Uperoleia daviesae area. But I'd have thought froglets that size would already have the characteristic marking down the back. I should get back to these areas after dark to see if I can spot some mature adults.

Return to “Identification”