Two Tasmanian Frogs - Need ID

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi Alan,

Nice to see some photos of frogs from Tasmania! Your first frog is a Crinia species. Likely Crinia signifera but I wouldn't feel confident completely ruling out Crinia tasmaniensis unless you managed to hear calling frogs. The second one I believe is Crinia tasmaniensis based on the stout body shape... but this is a guess. Best way to be sure is by call or by a shot of the undersurface. C. tasmaniensis usually has visible red patches.

Aaron

Alan M
spawn
spawn

Postby Alan M » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks Aaron!

Regarding the second frog I had dismissed Crinia tasmaniensis based on the distribution map here on frogs.org.au . It seems to indicate they are absent in the west of Tassie. However I have since looked at records on Atlas of Living Australia which actually shows denser population in the west. Also the marking on the main photo on this site looks nothing like mine. I somehow missed the additional photos further down.

Cheers

Alan

Return to “Identification”