Help needed with indentification

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Woko
spawn
spawn

Help needed with indentification

Postby Woko » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Last night while outside preparing for bed by torch light I happened to notice in my peripheral vision a vague pale shape. Thinking that it might be a mushroom responding to recent heavy rain & humidity I finished my preparations & investigated.
It turned out to be a frog, estimated length 65 mm & rather bloated. By torchlight its general colour was pale grey. It had light to medium blue flanks & pale to medium brown flecks on its posterior. Its eyes were round & black. It was apparently unperturbed & undisturbed by my shining my torch on it & stayed quite still while I observed it & tried to memorise its features.
The location of this interesting creature is Highland Valley, South Australia which is on the south eastern slopes of the Mt Lofty Ranges.
I'm most interested to learn the identity of this frog. I don't have a photo because I was worried about the flash damaging the frog in some way. Is this a problem for frogs photographed at night?

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Try checking this link and see if it resembles anything there:

http://frogs.org.au/frogs/ofSA/Adelaide ... ssa_Valley

Woko
spawn
spawn

Postby Woko » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks, tropicbreeze. The closest to it is the Eastern Banjo Frog. There's quite a lot of variation between the frogs pictured in the link but I would think the blue flanks would be a key indicator of the Eastern Banjo Frog. I notice, too, brown spotting on the posteriors of two of the frogs pictured. So I'm inclined to go with the Eastern Banjo Frog although the frog I saw was significantly paler on top than the frogs pictured. Perhaps it was a youngster.

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:29 am

Colour can be very deceptive. These two are of the same species and both at my place so not even a geographic difference.

Woko
spawn
spawn

Postby Woko » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:24 pm

That's amazing. I'm aware of colour variations within individual bird species, often associated with regional climate variations but it seems variations within the one frog species are bordering on the extreme - & not even due to climate variations!

Return to “Identification”