please help identify this frog

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Deb Murray
spawn
spawn

please help identify this frog

Postby Deb Murray » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am

I found this frog in my lounge room in the Barossa region in South Australia. After looking on the ARC website I think it might be the barking marsh frog because of the markings particularly between the eyes & the fact that I could hear what I thought was a dog barking methodically the night before finding it. I finally realised, hours later it wasn't a dog but coming from the drain in the shower of the main bathroom (which luckily for the frog doesn't get used). I've had the house sealed up to keep out the heat (& smoke from bushfires) over the last 2 days so must be the frog from the drain...

This frog was about 50mm long and had quite a vivid green 'eye lid'.
According to the ARC website information that species shouldn't be living in the Barossa region so I'm not too sure...

The water in with the frog is rain water & it's since been realised near by.
Attachments
IMGP2988 (640x426).jpg
barking marsh frog in the Barossa?

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Deb,

It definitely looks like a Barking Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes fletcheri). Definitely interesting to have one in the Barossa as I've read they are usually pretty confined to the Murray in South Australia. Hope the fire situation isn't too bad where you are.

Aaron

Return to “Identification”