Burrowing frog ID

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Burrowing frog ID

Postby tropicbreeze » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Found this little bloke (or girl) in a sand pile I was shovelling. Not the safest place to be. It's about 1.5 cms long. Had a tendency to try burrowing backwards back into the sand. I moved it well away from the sand to where it had deep leaf litter to hide in. Certainly a lot safer place than the sand pile with me wielding a shovel. I think it's Opisthodon ornatus. Can anyone confirm, or otherwise. Thanks.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi, I think your frog is a Floodplain Toadlet (Uperoleia inundata). P. ornatum has a more rounded snout viewed from above and I can just make out some parotid glands on the side of the head which are characteristic of the Uperoleia. Hopefully there's more rain up in the NT, I'm heading up in January to hopefully photograph some new frogs I haven't seen!

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks Aaron. I should have looked at my reference photos, I have some good photos of Uperoleia inundata, from just along the road from my place I took a couple of years ago. I went to the web site instead and they didn't have any pictures of it. Being so used to digging Opisthodon ornatus out of sand I just began to imagine it may have been a small one.

You might be in luck with the rain. They've been talking about the monsoon coming in end of December/early January. Up until now it's been a pretty dry argument. Although, this afternoon I got 40mm (will check the exact figure in the morning). It set the frogs off and I reckon there'll be a mass spawning tonight. Unfortunately because the water is still pretty shallow the Burdekin Ducks will clean most of it out around here over the next few days. Whereabouts are you planning on looking for the frogs?

Photo couple of years back.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:16 am

Yeah, I'm hoping the ducks leave some tadpoles for me to photograph! I'll be spending a night or two in Darwin before heading to Kakadu and south to around Elliot before swinging westwards to Kununurra and the Kimberley. Where I go will be pretty dependent on the rain... It looks like they've already started closing a few roads in WA.

I would like to see U. inundata again, last time I was in the NT (Jan 2013) it was so dry and the rains hadn't even begun so I didn't get to see many Uperoleia. I am targeting U. daviesae in the NT this trip, still haven't seen one yet!

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:14 am

Looks like you'll be in luck with the rain. The north western Top End not so much, although the last couple of days haven't been too bad. Below Katherine and into the VRD have been getting deluged. The Kimberley has been getting some reasonable rain but next week they're due to get deluged. So should be plenty of water, but access off bitumen might be tricky. And I suppose no need to remind you, with the extra water the crocs will be on the move.

By the way, starting to see a few U. inundata around with this rain. No U. daviesae yet though.

Return to “Identification”