Identification help needed

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

ackery.a
spawn
spawn

Identification help needed

Postby ackery.a » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:27 am

Hi everyone,

I went out to the Rocksberg Heritage Park, here in Caboolture yesterday to catch shrimp for my son and wound up bringing home a dozen tadpoles that I also found.

I have no idea what species they are, so if possible I'd like to see if anyone may have any clues as to what they may be?

They range from approximately 1.5-2.5cm long and are brown-greyish with silver bellies and small splotches on their bodies and tails.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi,

I think they are Stony Creek Frog (Litoria wilcoxi) tadpoles.

ackery.a
spawn
spawn

Cool

Postby ackery.a » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks Aaron!

Its nice to know that they are actually a frog and not a toad. As I'm not sure if they are protected or not and my son being absolutely facinated with them, I think we may keep them until they turn into frogs and then release them back at the creek where I found them.

Cheers!

Aaron
frog
frog

Re: Cool

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:28 am

ackery.a wrote:Thanks Aaron!

Its nice to know that they are actually a frog and not a toad. As I'm not sure if they are protected or not and my son being absolutely facinated with them, I think we may keep them until they turn into frogs and then release them back at the creek where I found them.

Cheers!

All native wildlife in Australia is generally protected in one way or another. However most state wildlife organisations are not too concerned about people collecting tadpoles (provided they are not from national parks), raising them to frogs and then releasing them to where they were originally caught.

Aaron

ackery.a
spawn
spawn

Re: Cool

Postby ackery.a » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:32 am

Aaron wrote:
ackery.a wrote:Thanks Aaron!

Cheers!

All native wildlife in Australia is generally protected in one way or another. However most state wildlife organisations are not too concerned about people collecting tadpoles (provided they are not from national parks), raising them to frogs and then releasing them to where they were originally caught.

Aaron

Handy to know, you wouldn't happen to know what the best thing to feed them would be at all would you?

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby kismetgecko » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:58 pm

They seem to like frozen lettuce :)

Return to “Identification”