Mystery frog - sound recording only

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

ocelotl
spawn
spawn

Mystery frog - sound recording only

Postby ocelotl » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:44 pm

I've recently moved to a rural property a little north of Ballarat, and am taking great pleasure in all the critters around. Recent rains have brought frogs onto the agenda! I've identified a couple of species that hang around the garden (Southern Brown Tree Frog and Pobblebonk), but have recently been hearing one that has me stumped, coming from the recently-dry but now-filling dam. No sighting as yet, they are elusive and have only been calling at night, but I've recorded a couple of them in the attached file. I've listened to all the sound samples for the species listed in this and adjacent regions, but can't pick it. Can someone help? They've also left a fair amount of spawn, so I'm hoping to get a look at a few more of them at some stage! Thanks.
Attachments
mystery_frog.mp3
(358.46 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby kismetgecko » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:37 pm

It's neobatrachus sudelli. This site refers to them as common spadefoot toads. Here in the ACT they usually refer to them as spotted burrowers :)
I love this sound :)
Jamie.

ocelotl
spawn
spawn

Postby ocelotl » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Ah! :D

Thanks a lot Jamie. The call sample on this site sounds quite different to mine, though I did think that was the closest - but now I know what to search for, I found another one at http://frogwatch.ginninderralandcare.or ... us-sudelli that sounds just the same, except 15 "clicks" to a call while mine has 14. I'll be listening to hear if that changes at all. Beautiful markings, I look forward to seeing them!

Return to “Identification”