Frog (?) ID - Backard on Berowra Valley National Park, NSW

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

JB79
spawn
spawn

Frog (?) ID - Backard on Berowra Valley National Park, NSW

Postby JB79 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:38 am

G'day all,

Hope I'm not breaking protocol by posting an ID request straight up, but this looks like a good place to ask the question.

We're on the Berowra Valley National Park, NSW, and have quite a few different frogs around, but one sound has us stumped.

I've attached a short phone recording of what we think are frogs in the yard. Sorry about the noise, but the 'hooooo' sounds are very soft and rounded, and do not record well.

These guys first arrived late October last year, and have been making themselves heard at night, always during or around light rain.

There are usually 3 or so, up to 5-6 metres apart on the ground, and the amazing thing is they appear to be harmonising the sound at increasing pitch. It's musical, and it's quite haunting. One starts with the deeper pitch for a few seconds, the next one overlays a few notes higher, and a third comes in higher again. They'll 'hoo' in harmony for around 10 seconds at a time and start over.

Any ideas what they might be?

Cheers,

JB
Attachments
mysterysound.mp3
(138.57 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi JB,

I couldn't get the call recording to work on my laptop. The call you describe seems similar to that of the Giant Burrowing Frog (Heleioporus australiacus). They have an owl-like call which is quite melodious and nice to listen to.

There is a call here on this website:

http://frogs.org.au/frogs/species/Helei ... traliacus/

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Its a Tawny Frogmouth.

JB79
spawn
spawn

Postby JB79 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies. No, they're not Giant Burrowing Frogs, and deeefinitely not a Tawny Frogmouth, though we do have those (and Powerful Owls) around.

JB79
spawn
spawn

Postby JB79 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:02 am

OK, I've had a listen to every frog sound on the entire Internet :o and I'm still no closer to finding it.

Went through all possible specifies from Frogs Australia database too:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060827075 ... illsap.cfm

Where to next?

JB79
spawn
spawn

Postby JB79 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Attaching another part of the recording where you can hear a second frog harmonising at 0:12. I've amplified this sound heavily, sorry about the noise.
Attachments
twoharmonising.mp3
(493.88 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

nonterra
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby nonterra » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Why don't you think its a tawny frogmouth?
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/sites/w ... goides.mp3

JB79
spawn
spawn

Postby JB79 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 pm

They do sound similar, but there are clear differences - the Tawny has more of a rolling sound in it, for example. I guess the questions are, are we likely to find 3 Tawny Frogmouths on the ground, up to 6 metres apart? Do they harmonise their call as described? Would they not fly off when people come near them? Do they only call around the time of rain?

JB79
spawn
spawn

Postby JB79 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Any ideas where else I could try sending the recordings and description for identification?

Return to “Identification”