Frog ID Queensland

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Benz
spawn
spawn

Frog ID Queensland

Postby Benz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:34 am

Can you identify this very small frog near Roma in Queensland, Australia. They seemed to live in the footprints of cattle in deep mud. I looked at the site but could not find a definite match.
Queensland Frog.jpg

Aaron
frog
frog

Re: Frog ID Queensland

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:15 am

Hi,

Your frog looks like a young Cane Toad (Rhinella marina) unfortunately. I've been to Roma a few times and I haven't got toads there before but I have seen them further east around Miles.

Aaron

Benz
spawn
spawn

Postby Benz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Oh dear. I saw half a dozen all the size of a finger nail. They were at Judd's Lagoon 3km from Yuleba. Does that make it the cane toad front line? I saw a snake curled up in one of the mud holes which I suspected was feeding on them. Thanks for the ID.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 am

I'm not entirely sure where the Cane Toad front line is these days in western Queensland. As I said I haven't seen them at Roma yet and I didn't see any at Texas or Inglewood in January this year (but I wasn't there for long and I wasn't specifically looking for them). Hopefully the snake wasn't feeding on them because even the juvenile toads can make animals quite ill.

Return to “Identification”