Striped Marsh frogs...???

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Striped Marsh frogs...???

Postby mr_sikma » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:06 pm

Hey,

I just picked up some frogs from a friend. He got some eggs about 14mnths ago and has had them in a decent sized tank with cold water. It has taken this long for the tadpoles to morph into frogs!!!

Anyway i just got 5 of them and just wondering exactly what they are. he was given the eggs and was told they are a Marsh frog and native to SA.

They are a darkish brown colour (nearly black) with a big gold stripe down the middle of their backs. They all have a stripe of some sort, as some has a more crooked line than straight. They have dark black eyes.

A couple pics are attached, although they arent too clear!

Thanks
Attachments
new frog2.JPG
new frog1.JPG

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:09 pm

Here's another pic of one with a bit of a tale still ;)
Attachments
IMGP2959.JPG

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Ok i cant really get any better pics...

but they cant really climb glass at all, apart from the straight line marking on their backs there is no other markings yet. the tadpoles were raised for over a year in cold water. and i am in sa!

thanks

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:00 am

What makes you think that they aren't marsh frogs?

Pics are hard to see, but with all the bits of info together I would say they where marsh frogs, but would love to know why you are unsure.
Ann

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi all,

From the poor quality of the pics its hard to be sure but the top pic Looks like Limnodynastes tasmaniensis, the Spotted Marsh Frog...However this is would be better clarified by a pic without a plastic bag obscuring the frog in Question.

Regards,
Scott Eipper

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 pm

i dont know alot about the different types of frogs, mainly about the tree frogs so i am unsure. also because the guy i got them from doesnt know anything about them, and was given the eggs from a friends pond who moved into the house and also doesnt know much about the frogs!

also they may be marsh but what type...

i had a better look at some last night and a few are just very dark with the goldish stripe, but another one had lighter browny spots all over them.

so spotted marsh frogs is the main guess at the moment!

will get some better pics up soonish!

Regan
frog
frog

Postby Regan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:40 pm

They look alittle large for marshy morphlings. especialyl still with the tail, dependign on how big that net is, possibly a small net means its okay, but i had ALOT of marshy morphlings and they were only around 1cm - 1 1/2 cm long ( striped that is ) if there are spots they could be spotted, but there are alot of differences between them.. look up a care sheet and check it out.

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:29 pm

now they are getting a bit bigger i can see alot of lighter spots on them!

they could br darker with light spots or lighter with dark spots.

i am going to find some pics of some spotted marshes now and compare!

Regan
frog
frog

Postby Regan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:03 pm

yeah, youve definately got Spotted marsh frogs, although they could be a different species of frogs, VERY similar to spotted. But as far as my knowledge goes, it seems to me that Limnodynastes tasmaniensis sounds about right,

Return to “Identification”