What frogs are these?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

What frogs are these?

Postby Nick Thorne » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Hi guys,

I know I have eastern banjo frogs and southern brown tree frogs, but is there anything else?

I recorded this at my back fence tonight, sorry about the wind noise, but I have cleaned up as much hiss and rumble as possible without (I hope) effecting the frog calls too much.

Nick
Attachments
Rockys Way 24-11-05 - processed.mp3
Recording at Lilydale 24-11-05
(149.1 KiB) Downloaded 887 times

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks Dave,

The sound you refer to is (I think) an artifact of the signal processing I used to clean up the recording. I just made the recording using an MP3 player and used the Nero wave editor to get rid of some rumble (mainly from a bit of wind) and some hiss caused by the low recording level. I had to compromise between keeping the noise low, not getting too many artifacts and not audibly changing the frog calls (at least to my uneducated ear).

I will make anothe recording when I can arrange to borrow a decent directional microphone and get the signal to noise level up a bit. Hopefully that will make things much clearer.

Anyway, thank you very much for adding a new species to our list for the site. I am on the Community Consultative Committee for the Lillydale quarry who own the land behind my house and I know that a frog survey that was done of their property only listed the two species I mentioned which also happen to be the two species that I have actually seen in my back yard, so its great to know there's more in there, I am sure they will be glad to hear of it!

Nick.

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

Postby MarkWill » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:33 am

There's eastern common froglets going crazy all through the recording, and a few calls from a couple of either whistling tree frogs, or southern brown tree frogs. I find it hard to tell the difference between the two, but the whistling one is higher pitched. Might be easier for you to distinguish if you go back to your original recording, as I know that filtering recording to clean them up can make calls sound higher or lower pitched (I've had that problem before!).

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks for that Mark,

Yeah, I know what you mean about the sound processing, but given the method of making the recording I did not have too much choice. At the end of the day, it was just an experiment to see whether the MP3 recorder would work at all. Given the simplicty of the equipment I was pretty happy with the results, but I realise it is far from ideal.

However, I will be making another recording using some professional recording gear and so the only processing will be in the conversion to MP3. By using a directional microphone as well I hope to be able to make the signal to noise ratio high enough to make the calls crystal clear. Anyway, it will be a bit of fun!

Nick

Return to “Identification”