What sorts of frogs are these?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

What sorts of frogs are these?

Postby MarkWill » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:45 am

These sounds and pic's come from my sister's place in Warrandyte (Melbourne) in a bushy dry hilltop environment. Any ideas as to what frog the pic's are of, and what creatures make the sounds in the 2 audio files?

Thanks heaps in advance :D

Recording 1

Recording 2
Attachments
unknown-1.jpg
unknown-2.jpg

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:17 pm

woah thats crazy ive never heard that type of call before it sout of looks like a barred frog but its not im stumped

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:25 am

Do you have a shot taken from the side?

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

Postby MarkWill » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:36 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Donna, my sister hasn't been able to get any more photos of that frog than those above, so it'll probably be too hard to ID until she sees it again.

After studying the sound samples further, and from Dave's comments and from talking to my sister about this further, I believe that Recording 1 has 2 species in it: a high pitched chirp sound throughout, and a single call from a whistling tree frog in the middle.

Recording 2 actually has some lovely video camera noise at the start (all those rapid clicking sounds!!!), and the rest of it is a whole group of the unknown chirping frog from Recording 1. Recording 1 has very clear calls, from probably a single frog of that unknown type. Recording 2 has many of those unknown frogs calling, but it's a bit muffled.

Any idea what that high pitched chirp sound in Recording 1 is made by? It may not even be a frog, but given how it sounds in Recording 2, I think it is, and my sister is fairly sure it is.

Return to “Identification”