A "learner" Litoria ewingi?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

A "learner" Litoria ewingi?

Postby MarkWill » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:54 am

This is a recording of what I believe are a couple of Litoria ewingi, but one of them appears to me to be a "learner" testing his voice and giving abbreviated calls! Why the abbreviated calls, or is it just trying out it's young voice? Is this correct, or is it a different type of frog?

The sounds of a learner?

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

Postby MarkWill » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:39 pm

Any ideas on the above from people used to hearing Litoria ewingi a lot?

MarkWill
tadpole
tadpole

Postby MarkWill » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:41 pm

My Litoria ewingi made your calls sound like a serenading Don Juan in comparison

hahaha!!! OK, thanks for the advice, that's good to know. I think it's nice that individual frogs have their own unique subtle variations - it makes for more interesting listening :D

Thanks for the reply!

robert
tadpole
tadpole

Ewingi calls

Postby robert » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:59 pm

Very pleased to come across this topic. My Ewingi's have a VERY different call that I haven't seen mentioned, I kind of high pitched chip-chip-chip, long pause.... chip-chip-chip... Later they revert to known or "normal" call.
I have recorded this oddity on tape but still haven't got my head around the tech. to get it online!

michaels
frog
frog

Postby michaels » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:22 pm

We used to only have one ewingi at our house, then another came and the one that had been there started making the same noise. Possibly it is a warning call to get rid of the other male. It worked for the new ewingi in our pond cause he has now moved into the pool.
Michaels

Return to “Identification”