Tadpoles in creek (South Aust)

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Tadpoles in creek (South Aust)

Postby mr_sikma » Sat May 28, 2005 8:30 pm

Hey,

My mate told me he has seen alot of tadpoles in the creek where we play golf. What could they be?

Would they survive if i caught some, and what would i have to keep them in?

The area is a large creek with not alot of water and in Tea Tree Gully, South Australia.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Sun May 29, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm not sure of the legal state in SA, but here in Vic, it is illegal to remove tadpoles I believe. There have been a few posts on the legal issues, try doing a search with "illegal" or "legal" and see what pops up.

cheers
Chris

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Sun May 29, 2005 4:55 pm

as i am aware we have hardly any rules here and any frog can be kept aslong as it isnt a green anf golden bell frog and i think a permit is needed. so tadpoles should be fine!

any idea what they could be and how they could be kept? also alot of yabbies down there aswell!

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Difficult to say what they are.. When they swim do they sit sluggishly near the bottom or sort of swim with their mouth near the surface, almost vertical wiggling the tip of their tail?
Are their bodies the size of small peas? jellybeans?

mr_sikmas quite right about the legal side of things in SA, As long as theyre not Southern Bell Frogs (or Golden Bell Frogs as this local variety is still sometimes refered to in SA) or smooth froglets then you should be ok.

You cant take tadpoles, eggs or frogs from a national park either.

Both of these frogs you would be very unlikely find in Tea Tree Gully and would have to be in the South East or Murray catchements to see.

mr_sikma
frog
frog

Postby mr_sikma » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:17 pm

Thanks for the replies ;)

I havent actually seen them yet. I am gonna have a look tuesday!

My mate reckons the froh he caught but let go in this creek, was a dark browny beige colour with red markings. like a paint spray :shock:

Return to “Identification”