Need help identifying ...

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

jacsplat
spawn
spawn

Need help identifying ...

Postby jacsplat » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi - I live in suburban Perth. The only body of water that I know of in my suburb is a man made lake. So I am unsure of where this frog has come from.This morning my son found a frog in our swimming pool. I have transferred it to a small pond we have in our yard that used to house goldfish, not ideal I know but better than chlorine (I hope). Anyways I noticed it had some prominent red/blood like looking markings on it and was wondering whether it has some type of bacterial infection? I was looking up species on the internet and thought it sounded like a Crinea Lutea? Anyways, I'll post a few pics and maybe you can solve the mystery and tell me what to do with it. I have a dog and a cat so keeping it is not in the frogs best interest (although my 8 year old son wants to keep it!) Ta, Jacs
Attachments
2004_0101frog0005.JPG
2004_0101frog0001.JPG

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:51 pm

This is the Western Pobblebonk (Limnodynastes dorsalis).

Evan

jacsplat
spawn
spawn

Postby jacsplat » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Wow - that's awesome - thanks for that! Cheers, Jacs

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:00 pm

i wouldnt keep it in so much water it might drown they need soil to burrow in.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 am

Something about it makes it not look like a dorsalis as it has no tibial glands and the patterning is not common for dorsalis, it looks more like a Crinia, especially in the second pic, how big is the frog? Can you get more photos?

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:28 am

i rekon its a banjo, its fat and has the red markings on the leg and has muscly arms.

jacsplat
spawn
spawn

Postby jacsplat » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:35 am

Will try and post more pics later - have moved onto some peat type mulch stuff? Jacs

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:41 am

I dont think it looks like a Banjo Frog (Lim. dorsalis) the markings don't quite fit and the head looks too narrow. From the redness of the groin and back of the thighs I think it looks like Tschudi's or the Quacking Froglet (Crinia georgiana).

Barker, Grigg and Tyler states for C. georgiana: "The brilliant red of the groin and thighs is not shared by any other species, thus there is unlikely to be confusion" (p288) and dorsalis I think only has patches of red in the groin and not the back of the thighs. And just because the frog is fat doesn't mean its a Banjo Frog...

Aaron

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:17 pm

Was thinking georgiana as well, to me it looks a lot like a Paracrinia (minus the stripes), but they don't occur in Western aus, the next closest thing to it would b C. georgiana, the can get quite large as well, up to 50mm. Peat is much better for it as well.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:05 pm

I was thinking it looked like a Crinia when I first saw it, but couldn't find a species with such red thighs. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. I agree with Crinia georgiana.

Evan

Return to “Identification”