GTF with white dorsal spots

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

digdown2001
spawn
spawn

GTF with white dorsal spots

Postby digdown2001 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

Hi,
I live in Sarina, Qld, and have just found a cute little Litoria in the mailbox. I usually have at least one in there, typical form, but today found one with dorsal white spots. Is it common to find these in the wild??? I only ask because I have not seen them before here.

I'm charging the digi batteries and will upload a pick of the little tyke as soon as they are charged, stunning little fellow :)

Many thanks,
Steve

digdown2001
spawn
spawn

Postby digdown2001 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:59 pm

And the image....

Cheers,
Steve

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Yeah, they are common in the wild. I think their abundance is dependent on your location. I know areas where they are the most common morph, and other areas where they are rare.

Evan

digdown2001
spawn
spawn

Postby digdown2001 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Evan,
Thanks for the answer, very interesting. It's strange to see a generic trait such as "white spots" continue to maintain their existence, not just in one population or geographic range, but in many areas. Usually traits such as these tend to vanish as populations mix back into the original bunch. I would guess the spots are a more primitive trait of the group and were most likely common in the ancestors of the Litoria we know today, particularly seeing as they are present in several specific members of the genus (very cool stuff, sorry for rambling on ;)).

Thanks again,
Steve

Return to “Identification”