Are these frog eggs??

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Are these frog eggs??

Postby Beadazzled » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:14 pm

I have brown tree frogs but today while I was out frog hunting I came across these ball things...can anyone tell me if they are brown tree frog eggs?? I found them near a lot of frogs so I'm hoping they are. Thanks.
Attachments
jemz 056.jpg
Are these frog eggs?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:55 pm

They are definately not brown tree frog eggs, but could be Pseudophyrne/Geocrinia eggs, exactly where did you find them (under rock, logs?) and your location would be helpful. They may be slug/snail eggs, as I can't see any embryo inside them, can you see anything inside them? If it is a frog, you should be able to see a developing tadpole in it.

Cheers,
Grant

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Beadazzled » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi Grant,
The eggs were found on the bottom of logs in native bush area (alpine), I'm in NZ. Some of the eggs are opaque but some are almost clear with a small dark 'glob' in the center. I'll attach another pic but its not that clear. In one clear egg it did look like a tiny tadpole was forming but as I've never seen a tadpole or frog egg I'm not too sure. Little Brown tree frogs were found in the same vicinity as these eggs.

Thanks, look forward to hearing more.
Attachments
jemz 050.jpg

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:09 pm

Considering you are in New Zealand, I doubt they are frog eggs. All the introduced frogs have aquatic eggs. Your native frogs have terrestrial eggs, but they are so restricted in range that it is very unlikely for you to have come across the eggs.

Thanks,

Evan

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Beadazzled » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:42 am

Oh so I wonder what they are??? Can anyone show me what brown tree frog eggs look like? I have male and females frogs in my tank and they have been in the amplex postion but I have no idea what to look for if she lays eggs.

Thanks

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Beadazzled » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:42 am

I've taken hopefully clearer pics so you can see the 'blob' in the middle of the egg.
Attachments
jemz 058.jpg
jemz 061.jpg
jemz 062.jpg

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:48 am

I have absolutely no idea what they could be. I very much doubt they are tree frog eggs, as they haven't dessicated after being out of the water for this long. The best way to find out is to keep them in the same conditions that you found them. So if they were found in the alpine region, I guess that means cool and moist? Hopefully they will then hatch.

Where is the exact location you found them?

You might want to email one of New Zealand's natural history museums. They will have more knowledge than us, as we aren't too great with non-herp ID.

Thanks,

Evan

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Beadazzled » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 am

Hey thanks Evan

I done a few google image searches and I think they might be slug eggs lol. I found them under a log.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:01 pm

Exactly where in New Zealand are you, if you are on the south Island they are not frogs eggs, if you are somewhere in the north island, check if you are within the distribution of Leiopelma frogs which occur there, there are only 2 species on the north island and they both have a restricted range, check the wikipedia page to see if you are within their range. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiopelma

Brown tree frog (and other hylids in NZ) eggs are always laid in water and look like little black dots surrounded by jelly capsule normally attached to vegetation or floating freely in water.

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Beadazzled » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks for that :) , your help is really valuable. I am in the South Island. Okay so I have brown tree frogs in my tanks, what are the chances of a breeding pair and would the eggs be laid in the water dish?

Also my partner sells a lot of frog requirements such as moss, food etc. We have a website and I am wondering if you would be able to view our frog page and let us know if the information we have there is correct, or if there is anything we SHOULD add. We haven't been into frogs for all that long and would hate to be giving misinformation to people that we have found on the net to our customers.

So let me know if you are able to help out and I will post the link up.

Many thanks :)

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:16 pm

I think the chances of them breeding would be relatively high, and yes they would spawn in the water dish. They may be more likely to breed if there was more water available.

Now that we have determined the eggs are not frogs, they are probably snail/slug, are you going to keep them until they hatch to find out?

Beadazzled
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Beadazzled » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Oh that would be neat if I got spawn in the water dishes :), and yes I might just keep those eggs and see what happens...I'll let you all know.

Return to “Identification”