winter frog

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

cferart
frog
frog

winter frog

Postby cferart » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:57 pm

hi everyone
I go days/weeks without seeing a frog in my garden! :(
but did spot this little fella, as big as a thumb nail in one of the small ponds

I think it may be the same one identified earlier as

Crinia signifera

Here are the couple of photos I took yesterday, hard to get a good one with the reeds..

Everyone still agreed on the ID?

cheers
Catherine
Attachments
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey Catherine,

Your frog looks like a C. signifera. They are probably one of the few frogs that will call consistently over winter even when there hasn't been any recent rain. Most frogs are not active over winter but there are some species that have adapted to the colder temperatures and the best chance to see them would be after rain.

Aaron

cferart
frog
frog

Postby cferart » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:31 pm

thanks Aaron,
If he is the same one in the same pond, could he/she spend all their time in or around this one area? If so I guess this means they like it :)

IN summer it was fairly easy for me to spot frogs on warm nights, as there were in the water cooling off. In winter its so much harder..

cheers
Catherine

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 am

Agreed on C. signifera, however it could be parinsignifera, have you ever heard them at your place?

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi Catherine,

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the same individual. I think it looks similar to one you have posted before? If the environment is suitable then the frogs should hang around. If it is the same frog well it look like you are doing something right! :P

With regards to it possibly being parinsignifera, I'm not sure. I didn't think they were found that far south near Melbourne but it wouldn't be impossible. They do sound quite different to Crinia signifera, my friends think it sounds like the Road Runner from the Warner Bros cartoons - "meep meep"

Aaron

cferart
frog
frog

Postby cferart » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks guys..

I haven't heard it calling... so maybe its a girl? It seems very shy and moves lower in to the water as it senses me trying to get a photo... And it stays in the same little pond, I am glad to have provided an environment that it likes... and it would be great to have tadpoles :)

How do people manage to pick up frogs and turn them over to get a picture on their underside???

cheers
Catherine

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:12 pm

If you hold the frog then very gently hold it upside down on the ground, about half the time they stay like that.

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Crinia parinsignifera are not found south of the great Dividing range in Vic

Cheers,
Scott

cferart
frog
frog

Postby cferart » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:30 pm

[quote="tnarg"]If you hold the frog then very gently hold it upside down on the ground, about half the time they stay like that.[/quote

hmmm first i would have to catch it :roll:

I think I would have more luck with the Banjo frogs, at least they stay still

cheers
Catherine

Return to “Identification”