Is anybody willing to ID quite a few frogs ???

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

Is anybody willing to ID quite a few frogs ???

Postby finnsharon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:15 am

Hi There,
I have many, many frogs that I need help with I.D. ing ..
Probably up to 12 .. who knows, they all may be that same species.
Let me know and I shall post. :oops: I stick my nose in books for hours and just when I think I have worked it out ... I read something new which throws me WAY out !
Thanks,
Sharon

David De Angelis
frog
frog

Postby David De Angelis » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:03 pm

Post the photos and we'll do our best.

David.

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

frog i.d. request.

Postby finnsharon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Here are some of the frogs that I would like an I.D. on. I will have to post them a couple at a time.
They were all found in the Tarra Valley area, north/west of Devon, Victoria.
Many thanks, Sharon.
Attachments
5808.jpg
5780.jpg
5705A.jpg

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

Postby finnsharon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 pm

.....and here are the second lot.
Many thanks, Sharon.
Attachments
5831.jpg
5829.jpg
5822.jpg

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:51 pm

all of them except for photo for the second photo are whistling tree frogs.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi Sharon,

Some nice photos you have there. I would say all the tree frogs are Whistling Tree Frogs (Litoria verreauxi verreauxi) because of the yellow and black splotches in the groin and also the narrow discs on the fingers and toes.

The other frog looks like a Common Eastern Froglet (Crinia signifera). Just a quick question, did you find those Whistling Tree Frogs amongst the vegetation on plants etc? I've only ever seen them on the ground :)

Cheers

Aaron

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

Postby finnsharon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm

These two guys were found down the Otways, the dark one near Apollo Bay and the pink one at Maites Rest car park. I think they may be the same frog species. If they are the same, could anyone tell me why one is dark and the other pink..... subspecies, throwback, age...etc????
Many thanks, Sharon.
Attachments
3707.jpg
4613.jpg

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

Postby finnsharon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Hello there Aaron,
Thanks for your reply. The frogs (whistling tree frogs) were found on the ground, under rocks and in the vegetation and the photos were taken on a fallen branch and bark. The frog that you identified as crinia signifera, was reported to me as pseudophryne semimarmorata because the underparts were a mottled black and white, any ideas?
Thanks so much, Sharon.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:47 pm

Well to me the frog in that photo doesn't look like a Pseudophryne species, they tend have rounder snouts and be more squat and pudgy. Crinia signifera do have mottled black and white bellies but its not as "stunning" as Pseudophrynes.

Below is a generic ventral pattern in Crinia signifera (keep in mind its extremely variable)

And this is what to me is a typical Pseudophryne marbling. It is much more distinct and defined and the black and white zones are much broader. The frog in this case is Pseudophryne australis.

The dark coloured frog looks like another Crinia signifera (These guys come in such a wide variety of patterns). I dont have much experience with Victorian frogs but the pinkish one might be a Victorian Smooth Froglet (Geocrinia victoriana) or it might just be a weird coloured C. signifera. Did you happen to get a photo of the pink frog's belly?

Cheers Aaron

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

The Belly

Postby finnsharon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi Aaron,
For whatever reason, we cannot attach pics anymore.
Re: The pink frog .. it has yellow under the chin ... a transparent pink belly with blueish pattern (which looks internal) and some little dark red spots on its belly and legs.
Many thanks,
Sharon

cferart
frog
frog

Postby cferart » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi Sharon
Great photos...
How do you get them to stay still....
any tips appreciated
what sort of camera?

best wishes
catherine

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi Sharon,

Maybe you have reached your upload limit, the forum only lets you upload a certain amount of files on their server. The alternative is to use an image hosting site such as Photobucket or resize your photos and make them smaller. Re: the pinkish frog, maybe it can be a Smooth Froglet, I think they have pink spots or streaks on their under surface. Hopefully someone who has actually seen this species in the wild can give you more help than I can!

And Catherine I find when photographing frogs if I leave them in situ (in the same position and place I found them) they are less likely to move especially when they have a bright light fixed on them. They think they are camoflaged if they stay still. Sometimes its not possible to photograph a frog where it is and moving a frog tends to make it want to hop away as soon as you put it down. Sometimes with smaller frogs cupping your hand over them and making it dark helps them to "relax" and sit still. But as always we try to keep handling to a minimum :wink:

Cheers

Aaron

Kara
spawn
spawn

Postby Kara » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:57 pm

Hey Sharon,

Some amazing photo's you have there. :)

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

Thanks Catherine ....

Postby finnsharon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:47 am

Hi Catherine,
I use a Canon 20D .. with a macro lens and lots and lots of patience ... as well as getting out as much as you can. I write all settings down and see what works and what doesn't. The most impotant thing is the well-being of the frog. If I handle them I always make sure that my hands are covered in water and earth from their environment ... (no perfume/moisturiser, of course)
Any good tips on where we can look for frogs out Hurstbridge way ?? (gives me an excuse to stop at that little post office cafe ..)
Cheers, Sharon

cferart
frog
frog

Re: Thanks Catherine ....

Postby cferart » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:41 am

finnsharon wrote:Hi Catherine,
I use a Canon 20D .. with a macro lens and lots and lots of patience ... as well as getting out as much as you can. ...Any good tips on where we can look for frogs out Hurstbridge way ?? (gives me an excuse to stop at that little post office cafe ..)
Cheers, Sharon

Hi Sharon
Your dedication shows in the photos, really beautiful,
Do you go out after dark to find the frogs?

Regarding frog spots around Hurstbridge, its been really dry up to the last few months, so there must be some good spots...
But I am a garden fanatic so have spotted mine in my garden :-)
Just thought Diamond Creek flows thru Hurstbridge,, but am not sure if moving water is good for frogs?

cheers
Catherine

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 pm

The frog in the photo 4613.jpg I think is a Geocrinia victoriana, any chance of an underbelly photo? 3707.jpg may also be one as well, but another angle shot would help.

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:13 am

The are 4 species in your post:

Litoria ewingi is 5822
Litoria verreauxii is in shots 5705a,5808,5829,5831
Crinia signifera is in shot 5708
and Geocrinia victoriana in 3707...i suspect the other frog 4613 is also a geo vic but I would prefer another shot of the belly

Cheers,
Scott

finnsharon
tadpole
tadpole

Much appreciated!

Postby finnsharon » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:40 am

Wow that is really cool guys thanks!
Thank you for the effort and putting the image numbers alongside the name, it makes things so much easier, thanks.

Return to “Identification”