Stripped Marsh Frog??? Please help

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Stripped Marsh Frog??? Please help

Postby climbin-chik » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 pm

hey, could someone please help me? i'm pretty sure my frog is a stripped marsh frog but i'm really confused and not sure, cause it is only about 20mm long, but with the definition of its markings it doesn't look like a juvenile (but don't don't take my word as i'm still only one at this), and not nearly the size i continually read about., how they are suposed to b around 60-70mm. i don't know how old it is cause it was given to me as a birthday pressent from a friends dad. If anyone is able to confirm for me it would be great :D
Attachments
IMGP0845.JPG
this is prob the better one of him, as it is over head.
IMGP0844.JPG

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Yes, that is a Striped Marsh Frog (see I can confirm pet IDs as well!!). He is very beautiful, I have never seen one with a green stripe down the back.

Evan

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 pm

thanx for that, is it right that he is soo small? he is barely 20mm. i also have 3 taddies that r stripped marsh frogs, and the body of one of them is almost bigger than the frog! is he just small or still a juvenile?

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Yeah, it is perfectly normal for them to be that small. The tadpoles reduce a lot in size when they morph. He will get bigger, just keep the food up.

Evan

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:58 pm

its a juv. for sure and its very attractive frog, and when it is bit older you can tell the sex by the muscly arms and calling, whereas females can get to be rather large and not calling ! breeding season - summer so when frog is bigger and older say in one year - let us know !

in all, very nice moss in background !

Riona

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 pm

what can i feed him? (and the tadpoles). i've just been giving him the crickets that u can get from the pet shops, but i wouldn't mind mixing it around a bit and they seem to go pretty quick and i'm sure there has to b a bit of a cheaper alternative.

but the moss is like 3 or 4 different types i found in my yard, plus extras that are shooting up, i'm rather proud of the set up i did, and he seems to b fair happy but i'm not sure if there is too much water

gtsteve
frog
frog

Postby gtsteve » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 pm

Evan that 'green stripe' is probably because of the artificial lighting, it's happened to me, Flouro will do that, incandesant gives a more reddish tinge to white. But climber they are great, natural looking (enviorment-wise) looking pics. I've had heaps of Marshies looking like that [Without the lovely background]. Steve

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:36 pm

Tadpoles - boiled lettuce til slime, or fish food pellets, turtle pellets, pretty much any fish food...dont over fed - makes water dirty.

Frogs can eat any insect that moves ! usually 1/4 to 1/3 size of frog body size porportion. Can get own insects from garden not from house (who knows what these insects pick up in a house!!!! transfer of natsies- germs) again garden need to be chemical free eg, no recent sprays etc..

u can breed own insects but its such a hassle !!!

u can buy in bulk of crickets ($6 for 1 container of 40-50 crickets and I buy 4 containers = 100 crix) and put in a larger container with holes in it some cut up veg like pumpkin, carrot and wet folded paper towel for moisture(drink!) and feed once or 2 a week depending age, if juv, more per week 2-3a week.......... if adult, once -2 a week !

ok it is very summarised as there are detailed info in other posts/threads - fnd it by using search for keywords and read' em

Ta Riona

hojo
frog
frog

Another solution!!

Postby hojo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:38 am

Try buying yourself a butterflynet with a handle from a cheap store ( mine was $2). Usually found in the kids toy section knot the end or sew it down and then catch anything the appropraite size. House flys, Blow Flies, Moths & Mosquitos.

Just use a wrist flicking movement to catch the goodies. hold your fingers aroung the very end of the net where you have the besties and turn it inside out and release the food into the tank. You will find him/her jumping aroung all over to catch these flying goodies.

PLEASE make sure you have not used and fly sprays recently. This also helps the environment by not using aerosols. Frog are the natural way to get rid of your pesky inside flying foes.
Cheers
HoJo
Attachments
IMGP0323e.JPG
This is my net that I use
Last edited by hojo on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:53 pm

it sounds wonderful ! and yep fly spray is bad !! I dont even own one...

I will wait for spring as nothing much right now in cold windy winter (near beach so not many insects right at this instant) but hey hey it is a cool 8 weeks till spring ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

will buy that net and excerise outside for spring and summer

hojo
frog
frog

Outside food

Postby hojo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:12 pm

You are correct of course. Not much about hear in country SA either to wet and windy here too, but you get the occasional mozzy and moth.

I have found that our local aquarium store had an infestation of flies the last time I was there I should go and offer to eradicate those pesky little blighters for them??!!

The good thing about the net is that if you just twist the middle of the net around on itself you can keep the flies contained for a short while..even up to 24 hours. The flies just crawl around in the space they have, but have plenty of air. So what you are able to do is catch food when it presents itself and then you can feed to your froggy at a time when you would usually pop in any tastey morsels.

I am pretty sure my neighbours think I am a looney chasing around the house with a pink butterfly net at all times of the day!!! LOL
Cheers
HoJo
Last edited by hojo on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:41 am

hey sorry been away for a short hol in the NT (awesome) but the stripe is a yellowy green, very pretty. and thanx for the info on the taddies riona.... i'm getting worried, i came home last night and haven't seen him yet! i've done a quick clean out of the tank this morning, not very thorough and i still can't find him, he has either foudn himself a new and very good hiding spot in the last week and a half or something else has happened.
and the last time i am leaving him to be looked after by family members, i came home and there were dead crickets in the water and on the moss, about 5 or 6 alive crickets just roaming the tank and one that would have been almost the same size as him!

Return to “Identification”