ID this 'pole Please

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

GTR-90D
tadpole
tadpole

ID this 'pole Please

Postby GTR-90D » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:53 pm

No idea what this species is. I found it in a tiny water channel in my mums place with along with I assume are L. fallax 'poles.

Here is the pics.
http://www.geocities.com/baysik/fallax_poles.jpg
Believe to be L. fallax 'poles.

http://www.geocities.com/baysik/mystery_pole.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/baysik/mystery_pole1.jpg

It's dayam ugly, so I hope the morph is a good looker.
Length from head to tail about 50mm long.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:36 pm

The ones in the first photo I think are Lim. peronii (could be tasmaniensis but hard to tell at that age) the others are definately Limnodynastes peronii. Lit. fallax tads look quiet different to those tads, they have spotty tails and tend to hover around the surface.

Cheers,
Grant

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:07 pm

I agree with Grant the second ones look like Striped Marsh Frogs (Limnodynastes peroni). The first ones are a little bit difficult, they don't look like tree frog tadpoles mainly because of the shape and position of the eyes.

Aaron

GTR-90D
tadpole
tadpole

Postby GTR-90D » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 pm

the size difference in the 2 poles is enormous so I dun believe they are the same species.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 pm

They breed for such a long period of time that the large ones could have been laid last year, and the smaller ones last month.

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:35 am

Size difference does not mean much in tadpoles, they were just bred at different times in the year, I'm quite sure they are all Limnodynastes peronii.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:57 am

umm

the tadpoles of peronii I have photographed and seen and studied and illustrated DO look different to the ones in photos ! I was little confused !

I will post photo of lim.peronii as the ones I did had stripes (3) and eye placements were on the top. bluging a little on sides...hmm did i misID that !!!.. as it is 1am, too late to get pix now, will try to remember to get copy off my old PC to this new one, and load it up and want to check if yours and mine pix of that tadpole was peronii or not !

cheers

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:22 am

Trust me I have seen thousands and thousands of Lim. peronii tadpoles, I've seen enough to know one when I see one.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:52 pm

yeah - just gotta check mine ! and show ya - hee hee I am not questioning you ! just myself !

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:28 pm

these photos were taken in a box of these tadpoles, lim.peronii and lit.aurea

I took it that way for free style painting (sold paintings for 600 ! and it was shipped to USA)

so I didnt take it as "standard" but naturally free swimming

so that peronii - see stripes and its so pretty (well to me anyway)

u can see why I was little confused ! lol
Attachments
lit.aurea.jpg
this image was lit.aurea, and one of my favorites, did so many illustrations on that one and sold 4 out of 6 which was cool !!!
tadpoles lim.peronii.jpg
it had 3 stripes down the back of these tadpoles, and the eyes were little "bulging"

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 am

To me the majority of those tadpoles in the box look like hylid tadpoles (L. aurea?) because of the shape of their bodies and also the "clear zones" on the dorsal surface which I haven't seen in Lim. peroni tadpoles.

Here are some photos I have taken..

This one being a "standard" Lim. peroni tadpole in my experience.

This one I had tentatively ID'ed as Lim. dumerilli grayi based on the markings on the tail and the size but I think it might just be a different patterned Lim. peroni. If thats the case then there is considerable variation in the species because both specimens came from the same site!

Aaron

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:57 am

hmmmmm.........
ahhhhhhh

ergghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

it could be lit.aurea as only 2 species were there in different boxes scattered around. but the one I took pix of lit.aurea (upright one) was different to the ones in box.... and when they morphed they were peronii as I scooped them out and placed in specific tanks but now I am wondering as it was last feb/march i may have photographed a different box....I need to be more careful in future next time when the eggs are spawned again...

There is a few left and I will check again ! as havent' checked for 2 months (someone looks after them)

thanks for your help Aaron !

Riona

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:54 pm

Those aren't Lim. peronii, they are a hylid species, and seeing the only ones that were there was peronii and aurea, they must be aurea.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:30 pm

thanks Grant

will have to really learn on Tadpole ID properly ! :roll: :roll: :roll:

riona (ppffffttt)

oh !!! on the note of hylid sp, perhaps you can begin to tell me what makes you say these are hylid sp for my education ! 8) so is that possible ? ( i am aware you occasionally work with Marion Antis and she is the expert on taddies so u know what u are saying !) :D

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:01 pm

The tail tip and body shape are the best indicators to tell whether it is hylid or myobatrachid, hylids ahve a pointed tail tip and more oval shaped body I guess, myos have a rounded tail tip and more rounded body, also hylids tads will normally spend a lot more time swimming around the surface while ground frogs normally stick to the bottom.

Return to “Identification”