Some pics to ID

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

Some pics to ID

Postby kismetgecko » Fri May 25, 2007 10:06 am

These little guys are all frogs from just outside of Armidale in northern NSW. I've got some ideeas on what I think they are but I thought I'd see what others think. Sorry, the photos aren't great. This first one was only about 20mm, that's what's thrown me. The armpits and groin had orange/yellow colouring and there was some black mottling in the groin too.

Jamie.
Attachments
frog1c.JPG
frog1b.JPG

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

another one

Postby kismetgecko » Fri May 25, 2007 10:18 am

The yellow on this guy was brilliant. The belly did have black and white splotchy mottling with a grainy mottling beneath the throat. There was also a lighter line up the middle of the throat.
Attachments
frog 2b.JPG
frog3.JPG
Last edited by kismetgecko on Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby kismetgecko » Fri May 25, 2007 10:23 am

There are two of these. both different but I'm sure they're the same species. You can laugh at me if I'm wrong :P
Attachments
frog 4c.JPG
frog 4b.JPG
frog 3d.JPG

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Fri May 25, 2007 11:20 am

The first two are the Whistling Tree Frog (Litoria verreauxii verreauxii).

Do you have photos of the bellies of the rest?

Thanks,

Evan

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri May 25, 2007 12:04 pm

I agree with Evan, the first photos are Litoria verreauxi verreauxi, the yellow and back colouration in the groin is characteristic of the species.

The other photos look like Crinia species but I can't be sure which ones from those photos.

Cheers,

Aaron

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri May 25, 2007 1:35 pm

First is Litoria verreauxii verreauxii, others I'd say are all Crinia signifera, but there is a chance the last one could be parinsignifera.

kismetgecko
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby kismetgecko » Fri May 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought along those lines myself. I thought I'd check the first ones because they were so small. I assumed they were just young and now I'm confident of it. The second one caught me a bit because of the bright yellow. The others I assumed were signifera. The one in the second posting certainly had different belly patterning to the ones in the last posting too. I did take some shot's. I'll see if they worked out.
OK. Bad shot again but... this is the one in the second posting. I don't have the other ones. The others all had a grainy belly and none of that black and white splotching. Their bellies were more like the sides of the throat in this one. Don't know if that helps

Is the bright yellow on signifera common?
Attachments
frog.JPG
frog.JPG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri May 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Yeah that frog is Crinia signfiera, um I've never seen yellow like that on a crinia before, I dunno, maybe there is something wrong with the frog, but its a little hard to tell in the picture.

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Sat May 26, 2007 10:20 pm

I thought frog three with the yellow was a Pseudophryne? Major?

Donna

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun May 27, 2007 10:19 am

Yeah I thought it might have been a P. major as well Donna based on the yellow but the head is fairly broad for a Pseudphryne species and from memory P. major is no longer thought to occur within NSW? In Barker et al. it is shown to just extend into NSW but in the recent edition of Cogger's it is entirely restricted to coastal Queensland?

Aaron

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Sun May 27, 2007 3:59 pm

We have P. major here, and we are definitely not coastal. Ours look a lot like that one, except they have yellow shoulders as well. Did you record their call?

Donna

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun May 27, 2007 4:02 pm

The NPWS Atlas has no records for P. major in NSW, and all the distribution maps I can find for it have it contained only in Queensland, or very slightly within NSW. Certainly not as far south as Armidale.

The yellow spot made me think of Pseudophryne to start off with, but the snout is far too sharp.

Thanks,

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun May 27, 2007 5:54 pm

The frog in question is a Crinia, it doesn't have the right body shpae for a Pseud.

Return to “Identification”