Massive white tadpoles - Far north queensland

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Massive white tadpoles - Far north queensland

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Fri May 18, 2007 6:12 pm

These have appeared in a pond in a school in Far North Queensland.
They are the largest tadpoles I have ever handled and I have handled Mixophyes tads.
They are not very active, and are calm even when handled, though I try not to handle them too much. The tail has a clear flagellum but they don't whip it around like a lot of species. Thick tail phlanges, the largest tadpoles' are damaged.

There is more detail about the circumstances of their discovery in Health and Disease, but a bunch of year 10s found them. They were being extremely immature and trying to tell me by jumping out at me from behind bushes, so I thought they were stirring me up and ignored them completely. Then a science teacher approached me and said they'd given the tadpoles to her and she didn't know what to do with them. So I have them. Ner ner. LOL.
Anyway, there were four. One, according to the year 10 boys, accidentally died. I haven't had a chance to press him for details. The metamorphling had three legs, its back legs, the left front leg. By the way the right one was visible under the skin. He died. Parasites. see health and disease.

These are the remaining tads. The smaller one has started growing back legs, and yes, he has no eyes. I don't know what I'm going to do with him if he survives, because I can look after him, but, well, blind frog?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri May 18, 2007 10:18 pm

Can you post a photo?

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Sat May 19, 2007 4:12 pm

I did! Why didn't it work?

I'll try again.
Attachments
P1010365.JPG
The big guy. Nine centimetres.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat May 19, 2007 6:22 pm

That tadpole looks pretty healthy, the tadpole is a hylid species, based on the size and colour I would say it is Litoria caerulea.

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Sat May 19, 2007 7:19 pm

You reckon? The metamorph looked awfully similar, but the caeruleas I raised were almost black and nowhere near that big. I have got a positive ID on those because I still have the metamorphs. I've taught Darklet to shake hands. Such a cutie!
Anyway, that's odd. I've raised quite a lot of caeruleas before but never that size. Is that fairly normal? Is there something wrong with the ones I've been raising?

It's definitely a hylid species, I've got my money on Litoria something-or-other. (Tail features eg. phlanges and flagellum, head shape of the morph, toe pads) So maybe it is caerulea? I told a heap of people I was sure it wasn't! :oops: LOL

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat May 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Yes that is normal size/colour for caerulea, the only other hylid that could get that big in tadpole stage is Lit. infrafrenata, but that tadpole looks more like caerulea.

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 am

Then what the hell was wrong with the small black things that I raised? They were caerulea too. I know because I still have the frogs, I think I mentioned? Skila now hops across my hand on command. My babies! *snatches* What the heck?

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun May 20, 2007 11:01 am

THere can be two things which cause them to be small. Either they were overcrowded (too many in a small container), or didn't get enough food. It can be a bit of a problem in the wild, as the larger ones tend to be the ones which survive, but there should be no major side effects.

Evan

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Sun May 20, 2007 11:43 am

it could be a cyclorana of some sort, some cyclorana look similar to litoria tadpoles just different colours and they do grow pretty big. in my seq tadpole book it looks just like the cyclorana verrucosa rough frog tadpole picture, but i dont think they make it up far north qld so it may be another cyclorana.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun May 20, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah Cyclorana is another possiblity, but "small and black" doesn't sound like caerulea, caerulea get pretty big and are normally pale brownish green. Actually now that I've had a look through my tadpole book I'd say its probably Cyclorana novaehollandiae, although I don't have a pic of one the size fits more for C. novaehollandiae and the shape generally looks more cyclorana likle than caerulea.

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Sun May 20, 2007 4:02 pm

Well I did tell quite a few people I thought it wasn't caerulea.
I had seven caerulea tads in a plastic storage box (something like fourteen litres) and I'm pretty sure that two litres of water per tadpole isn't crowding.
They weren't small by any means, just not that big. And they were almost black. I have a few photos of them. It's not a case of mistaken ID, that's the funny thing. I actually watched them morphing, took them out of the big thing of water and put them in little containers so they could climb out, reared the froglets. Strange. :o

Cyclorana novaehollandae?
Will look up.

Man I'd kill for one of Marion's books, but I dont' think she's covered this far north anyway.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun May 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Yeah I'd say it is novaehollandiae, I have Marion's book and although it doesn't cover northern qld it does cover some of the species that occur there (C. novaehollandiae for example is covered by the book).

{~*Laura*~}
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby {~*Laura*~} » Sun May 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Been trying to find a decent photo. I've gone through frogs.org.au and frogsaustralia.net.au and I can't find anything except cyclorana brevipes, we get that up here. It looks very similar, but not the same.
I think you've hit it with cyclorana. It's definitely a hylid frog. I honestly don't think it can be caerulea, just because I've raised them so many times, in uncrowded conditions with more food than they can eat if they stuff themselves nonstop, and they've never looked anything like that. About half that size, some of the biggest have been three quarters that size. Funny...

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Postby Nathan Litjens » Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Hey all,

Looks remarkably like C. alboguttata tads we have here in Proserpine.

Return to “Identification”